Flip Key

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Kent

Reaction score
I have a 16yo son starting to drive and I wanted a 3rd set of programmed keys just in case one got lost (by him).

After seeing many high end and newer vehicles with their fancy retractable keys I decided it was time for another project.

Ordered a flip key with remote that was supposed to have the correct transponder for my 02 ST from Ebay for $22.

Got Walmart to cut the key after several hardware stores, Lowes and Home Depot all declined to cut my blank. They claimed they were concerned about the transponder being damaged and they were not sure what cassette to use in the cutting machine....

The Walmart employee took one look and got the right cassette out and had a perfect key cut in 30 seconds but he also told me it could damage the transponder, no biggie since I had to change it anyway. Best of all, no charge since he did not have a code in his cash register to charge me.

Now to the programing, with the correct transponder and 2 keys you are talking about a 30 second process. But I had to order a blank with transponder for $8 from Ebay to remove the transponder and use in the flip key.

I had to open the flip key case and was concerned when the spring sprung. Not to be deterred, I looked up some YouTube videos on how to put these things back together and in the end it was pretty simple.

I put in the correct transponder, did the key on/off sequence to program it and had a 3rd key for the ST.

Also, I had to remove the key shroud from the ignition cylinder and cut it, sand and paint it to have the key sit flush.

All in all, a lot of work for a flip key. I could have just programmed and cut the blank with the correct transponder but this was about having something different.

Last edited by a moderator:
[Broken External Image]:

I did not take pictures along the way but here is the image of the flip key I used and the ebay link. As noted the description says the transponder will work for an 02 but I had to replace the transponder with the correct one for it to start the engine.

Latest posts