Flowmaster 40 series univeral muffler install

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Sundown

Reaction score
I had a Flowmaster 40 series unviversal muffler box put in the other day and it wasn't that loud actually. I still have all the silencers on. It sounds like a Jap car a little. Still breaking it in though and it is getting deeper tone. When I floor it driving wise, it sounds like stock a little. It actually gets quiter. Thinking of removing the silencers by the tip. Any suggestions on getting better sound like the mustang note without spending too much like removing another silencer under there????? I don't want to fail emissions though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Jason... I had the 40 series on and I removed the resonator (the silencer by the tip)

and it sounded much better. You will not fail inspection because I live on Long Island also and didn't fail emissions with that setup and the setup I have now with no mufler didn't fail emissions either.

The emissions is done through the OBD port now anyway....it takes the readings from your

02 sensors and thats your emissions now. No more stick upi the tail pipe inspection.

Also did you get the email on the Long Island Meet on may 19th???

The link below will give the signup info. Hope to see you there.

Paul H

Jason,

If you want the deeper sound you really need to remove the stock pipe and replace it with larger pipe. You also need to remove the resonator and all silencers. As long as you keep the cats you will pass emmissions. It will never have the throaty sound of a V8 Mustang but with the Flowmaster 40 and new pipes it will sound great. Below is a link to my trac with custom exhaust and a Flowmaster 40 series delta flow. I have singe 2.5" pipe in and dual 2.5" out.

George

I have the flowmaster 40 series also. Single in/out on the stock pipes. It wont hit its true potential until u remove the resonator.

I figured that I had to remove some more pieces under there. Oh well back to the muffler shop. Thank you all for your input. I kinda was getting tired of hearing my muffler sounding like a 3000gt mitsubishi with a hole in the exhaust. Not that it sounds bad but didn't fit the look of my truck.