Fogs with brights on 05 Sport Trac (Project)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Barham

Reaction score
I have a problem. I tried this project on my 05 ST. I followed the steps and in the end had no high beams and not fog lights. Thinking it was a grounding problem I undid the jumper and used aligator jumpers to the main ground off of the battery....no dice. Lucky for me I did not follow the one step about cutting the relay wire flush, I left a 3" tail in case I needed to reverse it back to original. So thats what I had to do.... I redid it back to normal. I now have my fog lights, but no I have no brights. As far as I can see there is not a fuse just for the highs. I looked at all the fuses and not are appearing to be blown. Sugestions....anyone.:(

Thats what I thought but I did not have them on. Everything was disconnected. Guess I will have to get new bulbs and find out

That would be my best guess. I have had similar things happen while working on vehicle electrical systems. I never liked doing vehicle electrics. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
You might have grounded the wrong wire. You have to ground the one from the relay, not the harness. If you grounded the wrong one you might have blown a fuse or fried something. It work on my '04. I had no problem

Well I guess that was my problem. I thought it was the one from the harness that got grounded. Well I guess I will have to get new bulbs and try again.....I hope it's just the bulbs.

Yeah I had to to think about the project myself. The project submitter was not clear on which wire to ground..:wacko:

Be shure and seal off the wire from the harness. I used heat shrink.

Also did the same as you left enough wire to put back to stock. In the pics he didnt.

While we are here I am having a similar problem. I also have the 2005 fogs with brights mod and up until now mine has been working great. I had a bulb blow and while removing the bulb I short circuited the system. My stupid fault for leaving the power on. Anyway now my fogs won't come on at all. I have checked all fuses and they appear to be good. I replaced what I think is the fog relay and that did not help. Are there any other inline fuses or something I need to check? Possible something related to the switch itself? I am betting its something simple, I just don't know what or where it is???

Wes, did you take the power box back apart? Maybe the added jumper to ground came loose at the splice.

Was there a way to do this project were you snapped one of the blades off the relay? I may have purchased the wrong relay. I purchased a 4 blade relay. I bet I need a 5 blade relay. Could that be it?

The project for snapping off one blad is for '01 to '03. Yes 5 blades. The # on the side is PBT-GF20 H8QBT.

Okay I noticed that the blue highbeam light in the dash does not light when i pull or push the highs on. could this be because the high side of the bulbs are blown on left and right or is there something else wrong. i did not see a fuse for the highs just the lows, fogs and headlights and there all look fine. i just got new bulbs but too dark out now.

:angry: Okay the new lights did not work. Can some one tell me if there is a magic fuse some where that I can not find? :angry:

Have you reopened the box. Make sure you cut the right wire. Might try reataching the wire and see what happens.

Yea everything is hooked back to original. I have fogs, lows, and fogs go off when switched to high but no high beams. The blue high beam light on the dash does not even come on.

In the owners manual for my '04. #29 in the power box under the hood says headlamps. It might be for the highs. It is 25 amp.

I will check that out when the sun comes up, thanks. Hope it works and I can get things back to normal. Wife is not happy I blew the high beams out.

Latest posts