Food For Though - 4.6L V8 engine swap

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Bottoms

Reaction score
I do not plan on doing this swap and I am not asking if it is feasible or whether or not I should do it. I simply want to share this information with everyone:

What works in a Ranger, will work in a Sport Trac :D

It is far from a bolt on affair, but it is also far from the nightmare that so many people have made it out to be!

Last edited by a moderator:
Id love to do it, but I do not posess the knowledge for this kind of thing...

Id pay someone to do it, what would a person be looking at?

Total? Including all the wiring and custom work? Probably well over $5000, WITHOUT parts. Something like that doesn't come cheap. Where I used to work, we put a Chevy LT1 in an older Toyota 4Runner....that was a bit pricey. But at least with a Chevy you have a plethora of aftermarket stand-alone engine control units so you don't have to cut and splice engine and PCM harnesses as much.

That $5000 figure is based on $80/hour labour charge, which works out to about 62.5 hours work of work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, if you had someone do it for you, it would definately get expensive.

If you could do it yourself, you could probably get by for around 2 grand if you used a used engine and didn't rebuild it at all. This isn't including any money you might make back though selling off the old 4.0 and tranny.

Here's some more info on the swap:

Brad,

The guy does not describe what it took to install a 4.6 V8 in the Ranger. He only stated that the 4.6 wiring harnes plugged into the Rangers wiring harness. That does not mean that the whole swap is that simple nor that it will work on a Sport Trac.

...Rich

I used to have big dreams of dumping a Mustang 5.0 into my old Ranger...never had the extra time or $$...besides I probably wouldn't have been able to keep her on the road in the winter...They're so light in the a$$ for all that power.

Latest posts