For you super tuners out there

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Yee

Reaction score
Need some advice.

Going to either order the Random Tech Y-pipe or the Xcal2 Flasher this next week here. I already have a K&N FIPK Kit and a Gibson Catback. Which should I get first?

And if I do decide to go with the xcal2, is it recommended that I not do the Transmission EPC adjustment since the xcal2 mods the trans anyways? or is it beneficial to do both?

xcal2, no question. That's by FAR the best addon to your truck. :)

You will be AMAZED how much better your truck shifts with the xcal.

Adam,

I would recommend the x-cal first.... hands down...

If you transmission doesn't have any slow reverse or 2-3 flare issues, Only go with the x-cal and let the programmer crank it up via the computer... IF you still feel it is sloppy or could be a little firmer, then you can do the epc adjust....you could always lower the pressure via the tune if you do the epc and it is too harsh...

I would go for the y-pipe after you get a maf, wires and the other bolt ons...

Todd Z

Another piece of advice for you Adam...

Todd Z is the voice of reason and sanity here at the forums, listen to him, he knows what he's talking about. ;)

Me on the other hand...don't listen to me or you'll be in trouble. haha

And I think baron's advice should be put under the heading of "speaking from experience"!

Yes, I have lots of experience in tearing up the sport trac. If you need to know how to break it, I can help. I can also show you how to fall asleep behind the wheel, run off the road and then somehow drive your trac through an incredibly narrow space between a telephone pole and a mailbox that even mario andretti himself could not have driven through, doing no more damage than a very small scratch on your passenger's side mirror. ;)

You will need the engine code from your trac. It's located on the firewall, passenger side, in the engine bay. If you look at my picture below, it would be just behind the supercharger to the left on a little part that looks like it's plugging directly into the firewall (that's actually your truck's computer). It will be a 4 letter-number code. Mine is NHS1 for example.

After that, just tell wayne if you have a 4x4 or 4x2 and the vehicle code, and size tires (if you've changed 'em), then tell him the octane you can get around there (gasoline). For example, I can get 93 octane, so usually ask for a 93 octane tune for power. You might only be able to get 92 though. I also HIGHLY recommend the xcal2, not the xcal1. Even though the xcal 1 is cheaper, and it does basically the same thing, the xcal2 allows you to also read trouble codes, do a bit of data logging and make changes to your tune without having to hook it up to a computer.

Here is the computer location...

Also you will have to give your complete list of mods to the tuner....

The more truthfully you are the better the tune will work for you on the first try..

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

I think wayne also offers a "tune pack" where you can get tunes from him for 6 months or a year whenever you change your truck (add various items like exhaust, intake mods, etc). I don't know if others believe that's a good deal, but it seems like a logical thing to get if you plan on doing a lot of mods.