ford edge - 2 week review

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary s

Reaction score
gave the demo edge back to ford yesterday.

wife and i drove it for 2 weeks and just a tad under 1000 miles.

imo, alot of pro's and not many con's.

i liked it more than i thought i would.

well designed, plenty of useable room, enough power, good build quality for a ford.

really liked the panoramic roof, nav , power liftgate/rear folding seats, audiophile sound system & the ambient light pkg.

the front grill and crappy "chrome" wheels can be changed.

msrp was 39.5k, but i feel if you can get it for about 30k, it would be a good choice.

i would probably still choose a murano as i like the cvt tranny and i feel that it is a better built vehicle and would prove better down the road. but with the incentives ford is pushing the edge is a great runner up.

[Broken External Image]:

"good build quality for a ford."

"the edge is a great runner up."

What? Nevenind, I'm still envious, even though I didn't see "Ford perfect" in your description...:D

Live and let live...

But yeah, almost $40K is WAY TOO MUCH for your average American family. Me included!!!!!!!!!

Gary - have you done a similar 2 week/1k mile stint with the Murano? I have a friend who bought one on impulse, and his biggest dislike is that CVT. He had another Nissan with the same engine, he just feels like the CVT tranny is not a good match for the engine. Curious as to your thoughts.

gary s. said:

i would probably still choose a murano

JMO - The Nissen Murano is just butt ugly. If I do not like the looks of a vehicle I will not buy it. Even though I don't like the looks of either the Edge or Murano I would choose the Edge because it looks slightly better. I still like the looks of our gen. 1 ST over a gen 2 ST.

Also good luck putting groceries in the back of a murano.... That thing is tiny in the storage area...

Todd Z

Not out of brand loyalty. Definitly the edge. Im never liked cvt. Havent drove one yet IMO, that delivers the torque like a close ratio transmision. Plus I to have heard many complaints on cvt's. The murrano is ugly.

The Edge is a nice looking vehicle. You might also consider the Toyota RAV 4. Got my wife an 06 model about 3 years ago and still very happy with it. Has plenty of room and nothing in the industry can match the performance and mpg of their V6 model.

I have owned an 08 Limited AWD Edge for over a year now, awesome vehicle! Does everything well and we are very happy with it. IMO it looks a whole lot better than the Murano. Murano tranny complaints eliminated it from consideration for me.........

Provided you wanted a small SUV and not a CUV.

I would say the Edge and the RAV (from 06 on) are about the same size. I'm actually amazed at how much stuff we can get in the RAV. It replaced an Expedition and I was worried at first that we would be cramped for space. Not so. It carries about the same amount of cargo, has much better perfomance and handling AND gets 10 miles more per gallon.

I would say the Edge and the RAV (from 06 on) are about the same size.

A Focus and a Miata are about the same size. That doesn't mean both are convertables nor does it maen both are econoboxes.

If someone we in the market for a convertable, it is doubtful the Focus would be on the list.

The same goes for someone shopping for a CUV. It is highly doubtful they would consider a mini SUV.

Tom

TomT, my wifes '08 escape V6 got 28mpg (27.7) highway at 75mph. Before the motor was broke in. What does the V6 rav4 get.?

Caymen,

I think you missed the news. The industry considers the Rav4 a CUV now, not a mini-SUV. Since it is built on the Yaris platform it even fits the common definition.

I know, it's all bunk. I don't see the Rav4 and Edge as competing in the same market or for the same consumers, per say, but that's just me.

TJR

TomT, my wifes '08 escape V6 got 28mpg (27.7) highway at 75mph. Before the motor was broke in. What does the V6 rav4 get.?

We get between 27-28 on the highway and around 21 in the city. Not to shabby for 270 hp. I thought the Escape's V6 was the same one in out ST's?

Since the CVT issue was brought up, it's interesting to note that when the Edge came out, it was only offered with a CVT.

I drove one myself.

I didn't much care for it. Obviously, neither did many other people. That's why they changed it to a close ratio automatic the second year out.

I've driven the Murano more than once. I liked the ride of the Edge much better. The styling of the Murano is edgy and different. I like the Infinity version much more, but I've heard horror stories about Nissan/Infinity service issues.

Around here, Ford resale is generally better than Nissan/Infinity. Much better.

JMHO

dave s.,

i am just being nice :lol:

pmcd,

had a murano, but only for 2 days. like the cvt. imo a better ride then then the edge.

todd,

your experience with either vehicle?

jerry g.

only problem with our '03 350Z was premature tire wear (covvered under warranty) & a power window motor replacement for less than $200. the service dep't at our nissan dealer is great.

tom t.

the rav4 is an outstanding vehicle (4 cyl has enough power, but love that v-6).

i really don't compare it to the edge/murano as it is a different type of vehicle imo.

if you are buying a vehicle only for looks (not so sure that should be the major factor), the murano is a much better looking vehicle imo.

either way, the edge is good and if you can get a nicely equipped one for the high 20's, it is a good choice.

Todd,

your experience with either vehicle?

Went vehicle Shopping with my brother,. Looked and test drove them both... He bailed on the Murano in about 10 MIN after just looking at the tiny storage area, No room for his sons stuff back there....

Thank you

Todd Z

Latest posts