Ford engines

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott C

Reaction score
Who here knows about Ford engines? Mid next year my wife and I might get another truck and I'm wanting something with more power than the Trac. I'd like to have the truck loaded up for camping with the whole family (5) go up a hill and when I press on the pedal I'd like the truck to actually go up the hill :D is that asking too much?

Anyway I'll get used, hopefully around a 2k1 F250. I will not be towing anything but I will camp with it and take it on family trips that will involve driving over mountain ranges. Can someone tell me about the different engines Ford offers with it's trucks and which are good and which are not good. Does Ford make a truck engine that will give me some results? The lack of power in the Trac was so obvious to me this last week while on vacation, it was hard to keep with traffic while going over the mountain pass to the coast and central Oregon. It was very disappointing.

Well for 2001 I think they had the 7.3L Diesel Motor, V10 Gas motor, and 5.4L Motor. I think your best bet maybe the Diesel but I am biased to diesel. But think about it this way the 5.4L motor is the upgrade in the F-150. And the F-250 is not a F-150 its much heavier and with all that weight I don't think you'll get the best results. The V10 gas motor would eat a lot of gas not to sure on the mpg but I think it might be low. So that's why I say the diesel. But the diesel will usually be a little bit more then any of the gasers because it originally costs a bit more. Well hope some of that helped.

My cousin has a 2003 F-250 Extended Cab with a 5.4L V8.

It has plenty of power, nothing like the V10 does, but it has power.

If you are seriously getting an F-250, get a Diesel. His truck gets 14 MPG on the highway and about 9 in the city.

You are better off getting an F-150.

If you really want power a V10 F-250 has plenty, but expect nothing more then 10 MPG or so...if you are lucky.

Tom

My father-inlaw has a '01 F250 diesel. He is very happy. Of course he pulls a 5th wheel RV, all over the USA & Canada....

Traveled with them once from Boston to Lake Ontario. It pulls real good. I was amazed at how low the rpm's stayed....

Depends what you mean by "loaded up", but the 5.4 is a good engine. More power than the 4.6 and no real difference in mpg, so I hear from the people I know. The V10's are pretty scarce, at least where I am, most of the HD Fords have diesels or 5.4's.

I have an 2003 F250 FX4 4 door V10 and I get ruffly 12 mpg. I wouldn't have bought the truck if I couldn't afford the gas so no complaints about millage from me. It can tow about 13000lbs or more safely. [Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts