Ford Genuine Parts vs. Motorcraft Difference?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swshawaii

Staff member
1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Anyone have an explanation? Genuine parts are substantially more expensive, especially brake pads and rotors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically the manufacturer is different, or the same.

The FORD box parts are the EXACT same part you get on your truck as it was built at the assembly plant.

the Motorcraft is the certified part dealers and ones you buy boxed as Motorcraft replacements.

Most dealers use Motorcraft as it is cheaper. the only time you get genuine Ford box parts is a warranty problem or if the dealer services the vehicle that way.

This is the way I understand it.

Todd Z

I noticed the price difference, too. I asked a friend who has been in the auto industry for 30 years and he asked me "Do you think there is a profit incentive to invest in product designs, development, testing, etc., of two brake rotors [in my case] for the same vehicle?"

There may be an element of marketing (brand recognition, etc.) or price-point access.

I ordered the Ford rotors and they are cast with "Bosch". I haven't seen the Motorcraft, so I don't know what is cast on them, but I suspect Bosch (maybe someone can chime-in). It is odd that the Ford were less expensive than the Motorcraft (parts guy said he hadn't seen that before).

Ultimately, I went with the Ford rotors and Wagner SevereDuty Brake Pads and have been satisfied with the setup. I do a fair amount of mountain driving and this is a great improvement. The pads take a couple seconds to warm-up, but once warm, they bite hard and don't fade (better than OEM and ThermoQuiet, IMO). I haven't noticed abnormal rotor wear.

The pads take a couple seconds to warm-up, but once warm, they bite hard and don't fade

I bet they are simular to the performance friction pads. Carbon metalic and they bite harder the hoter they get.

Never occurred to me why they would make IDENTICAL parts under two brand names. I guess the same applies to AC Delco (GM) and Mopar (Chrysler). Thanks for clarifying.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, OE brand parts are typically built by aftermarket companies anyway. Bosch and Wagner are OE brake suppliers. In my experience bang for your buck is often better with aftermarket, premium brands.

They are in fact "Carbon-enhanced, metallic". You should go to Vegas!

I have never won a football pool. So I kinda dought Vegas...LOL!

I have the PF pads. I dont like the dust, but I like the bite and no fade...

Also even with my spirited driving. They have been gentle on the rotors..

Latest posts