Ford service can't fix my 2-3 trans flare.....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Cotton

Reaction score
My 02 Trac overdrive light started to flash and I got the 2-3 trans flare so common in the 5R55E. This occured after I had to take my Trac in for a warranty service item, and used my XCAL2 to reprogram back to the stock program. Ford service found the usual 2-3 flare code of no 3rd gear, and using the TSB for the issue, ordered and replaced the valve body with the updated one. This did not solve the problem at all. Next, they ordered and replaced the two servos involved. This still did not do the trick, and the flare was the same. Now, Ford is telling service to replace my Mass Air Flow Sensor, as it checks out as not being quite up to voltage. They also want me to take off my AirAid Cold Air Intake system and go back to stock, which I will not do, and they cannot force me to do. But, I will let THEM put the stock parts back on when they replace the MAF, just to show them that is not going to solve the 2-3 flare issue. The MAF does not cause any idle proplems, or any other problem that I can see. Ford service says that the MAF might be causing a hesitation between 2-3 shifts. This is complete nonsense, as it would be causing other problems also.

Now for the kicker! Each time Ford had to order a new trans part, I would get my Trac back with the very bad 2-3 flare. But, I would hook up my XCAL2 and reprogram it with either an 87 octane economy tune or an 87 octane performance tune, and the 2-3 flare would go right away, and shift normally. Of course, the XCAL2 tunes have the firmed up trans shifts, or increased line pressure. That immediately fixes the 2-3 flare issue. But to take it back to Ford service, I have to reprogram back to stock, and get the 2-3 flare immediately.

The New MAF sensor order is in, and I will be taking the Trac back to Ford next Wednesday, and will reprogram to stock configuration again. I can't figure out how in hell a new MAF sensor is going to help the 2-3 flare issue, when the idle is normal, no hesitation or engine quitting problems, etc. It is very interesting how the XCAL2 firmed up trans shifts completely solves the problem, and the Trac runs perfectly, with no typical MAF problems.

Any feedback on this problem would be appreciated, especially relating to the failue to fix the 2-3 flare using the TSB guidelines, and Ford Technical Service advice. Also any feedback on how the perfectly functioning MAF sensor could possibly be causing a trans problem. Also, any comments on how the XCAL2 programs immediately fixes the 2-3 flare issue, and about the AirAid COLD AIR Intake system. Thanks...........Gary ;)(sure glad I purchased the Ford ESP)

I would humor them and put the stock intake parts back on, just so that you can say "I told you so" and be done with that part of the conversation. This will save both parties time.

My guess as to why there is the flare with the stock and not with the XCAL2 programming is that there is some clutch damage that is masked by the increased pressures and reduced engagement times of the XCAL2 programming, but it's just a guess.

I am sick of hearing about this tranny problem, seriously, seriously sick of it. I had the same problem, paid well over $2000.00 to have it fixed only to have it back in to the mechanic several times after... now its ok, but I get a squeel, constantly from it...

This is not a fluke problem for a few people... This is every trac out there on the roads today with this potential problem... Its almost safe to say if you havent had it yet, you will sooner or later... I think its more of a act of god that you dont have the problem, a fluke, or whatever you want to call it.

Cant we seriously do something about this? Like seriously. Some kind of lawsuit, or something?!?! Not buying a ford isnt going to help the problem for us that want the trac, minus the transmission.

EDIT: Without being anti-ford or anything, is there any way we can get an accurate total of people using this site alone that have had this problem? Seriously... Or can I start a petition page and post it here? Cause I am willing to bet we are at a high, high percentage of ST's that have this problem, and maybe, just maybe we can do somethign for all of us that just want what we paid for!

Last edited by a moderator:
Put your Xcall tune back in.

Drop the oil pan on the tranny, bump up the EPC pressure. Replace fluid.

Flare will probably be gone....for good..

Ford fixed the valve body problem. But they refuse to kick up the EPC pressure a notch.

Between the new valve body, an Xcall tune, and a touch higher EPC, the problem will likely be solved.

Xcall tunes fix the flare by telling the servos in the tranny to move faster. Epc pressure fixes the flare by keeping the pressure high enough to move parts quickly. The 2-3 flare is caused by slow shifting and moving of mechanical parts in the tranny. Higher EPC pressure, and the computer telling the tranny to move quicker (Thanks, Xcall) almost always solve this....

Unless your servos are going out. If you are loosing a servo, or slipping, tuning and higher pressure won't fix it. But since you have new parts in your tranny, I don't think that is an issue.

cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:
Count me in! Started with the flare a couple weeks ago. After consulting with my father in law (who KNOWS transmissions), he told me since I had the ESP to take it to dealer. They charged me 100.00 to tell me I have a flare from 2-3 (no shit), and that the fluid was burnt. They couldn't find the bad part so they wanted me to authorize them to tear down the tranny for 400.00. If the part is covered, it would only cost me the $100 I already gave them. If not?????? I tried to get them to tell me why it wouldn't be covered and they told me they would have to look at maintenance records. I bought it certified pre owned with 35k on it, and dealer I bought it from had no records of a 30k tranny flush. I now have 62k and haven't had it done. I figured that would be thier way of screwing me and not covering it. After my father in law drove it he immediately said shift solenoid. I told dealer that and they said they "tested" that and it wasn't it. I told them to button it up and I'd be down to get it. Drove it to the in laws and he changed the solenoid, been a week now, shifting great. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If indeed I need a complete teardown, he will do that as well. I'm lucky to have a family member in that business. Total for filter, solenoid, fluid was $135.00.

Take it to another dealer...These idiots don't know what they are talking about and obviously don't have any qualified transmission techs.

...Rich

Could the tranny be in learning mode when you get it back? Disconnect the battery to reset the computer, then try to drive it. See if it still does it.

I know on my Trac, if I shut my chip off, the tranny will slip. if I disconnect the battery for a few minutes, then reconnect it and drive it, it shifts fine. Sounds like you are dealing with a good dealer, but they might be lacking a good tranny tech, as RichardL pointed out.

Tom

Thanks for the input everyone. Tom, I will try that, and thanks for the info. I would take it to another dealer, but that would be far away in another town. I'm just going to take it back for the new MAF sensor, and when it still slips, then I will go from there. The Tech that is working on it is the best transmission guy in the shop, with lots of experience, but is stumped on this one. He told me that the transmission pan was as clean as a new one when he pulled it the first time, so there is no internal damage showing up. My theory is that there is some sort of computer error in the stock tune, and that they need to reflash my ECM with the latest stock tune. Anyway, that is what I am going to tell them, when the MAF doesn't fix the problem. Again, thanks for the input, and if they can't fix the problem, then I will manually up the line pressure, and retune with the XCAL2. What a piece of crap for a transmission!

Gary

Gary,

The 2-3 Shift flare (slipping) is a common problem with the Sport Trac transmission.

It is caused by sticking valves in the valvebody of the transmission. These valves are controlled by electric solenoids and the sticking causes stress on the solenoids causing them to weaken and fail.

Some dealers will just replace the solenoids but the sticking valves will eventually weaken and destroy the new solenoids. The proper fix is to replace the solenoids and the valvebody.

If the transmission tech at your Ford dealer does not know that, I would question his "Lots of experience" and why he appears to be stumped on a "commonly known problem".

...Rich

Latest posts