Ford Tech Question - T-case

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny O

Reaction score
Time to change the t-case lube in my '08. The owner's manual calls for "Ford Synthetic Transfer Case Lube" or some such, as opposed to the Mercon ATF that was spec'd for the Sport Trac and Rangers that I had previously. Can I put Mobil 1 ATF in it anyway, or is the t-case different now and I should go to the Ford dealer and get their stuff?

It is motorcraft xl-12 now..... It is really just a synthetic ATF.......

I believe if it is brown in color it might be a gear oil...

Check the bottles at the dealer, if not from what i just read, most are using SYN ATF..

Todd Z

I had always used Mobil 1 ATF in my transfer cases, I just wondered if this one required something new. I will just get the Mobil 1 ATF.

For those wondering why I'm changing the t-case lube on an '08, it just turned 30k but based on past experience I'm sure the lube has looked like tar for a while now.

Thanks Todd. I recall that Redline makes an ATF for use in manual transmissions that call for ATF and they say you can use it in transfer cases that call for ATF too. I think I'll try that if I can find it locally, otherwise I'll get Mobil 1 ATF.

Got it done today. The stuff I drained out was mostly dark brown with a pink tint to it. Refilled it with Mobil 1 ATF. 1.5 quarts. Feels smoother already.