Foreign material in coolant

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Gianquitti

Reaction score
Was working on the truck and had to take a radiator hose off; so I drained some fluid out and to my surprise was sand particles, bugs, a leaf and other ???? I only drained out a couple of cups. Has anyone ever heard or seen this before? I recently brought it to a body shop, had the hood painted I am getting suspicious!

IT may not have been that, Some times the hose falls apart, the block or rad oxidizes or corrosion is happening and looks like the common outside stuff....

IF not, then some one is playing games..

Todd Z

Engine blocks are cast from sand molds. It's not uncommon for some sand to get stuck in the internal coolant passages. If the blocks sat around for a while before the engines were assembled, it's possible that some bugs may have made a home in there. Bugs may have gotten into the tanks of coolant and died at the assembly plant and just got pumped into your radiator when they filled it.

If you never had any overheating problems, just flushe the system and move on. Most modern coolants have corrosion inhibitors in them, so as long as you change the coolant before it goes bad, you should not have any problems.

...Rich

Latest posts