Fram AirHog Hi-Performance Air Filter? Others?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Smith

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
(There is no category for "Intake").

Anyone have any info on the Fram AirHog Hi-Performance Air Filter? I have not even checked yet to see if they have a model for my 2004 Trac, but they are offering a $20 rebate thru 12/31/06. I am considering pulling the "noise silencer" (project) and dropping in a filter. If these are no good, (I know the Fram oil filters are not considered good quality), what options do we have? I am hesitant to drop in an oiled filter (i.e. K+N) because my mechanic says he eventually sees the MAF fail due to oil accumulation. This has stopped me from installing a new cool air system, but I have to do something!

Thank you.

If you don't over oil the oil filters you never will damage the maf, and IF you get oil on the MAF you simply clean it....

Leaving that stock air box on there will restrict any air flow you want to get....

They do make non oil intake kits..

Todd Z

dbk747, I have an aftermarket intake on mine that I got from E-Bay. I've had it on for 2 1/2 years and have cleaned it 3 times and no problems with oil build-up on the MAF sensor. If you just want the "drop-in" style, I think a few on here have the Frams but I do know there is a couple of "cold air" intakes out there that are a "dry charged" system. Meaning they don't use oil on them. But like I said, no problems with oil build-up here with the "oil charged" one that I'm using. Even if you did get a build-up, electrcal connection cleaner will remove it.;)

I put a K&N in the Ranger I had before (a 4.0 SOHC too) and I didn't think it made any difference in performance or mpg.

I just adapted a AEM filter to my OEM intake tube. I removed the silencer and cut the top and bottom off my filter box. I used the short cone filter. The good thing about it is I do not have to oil it. The manufacturer says I do not have to clean it for 50,000 miles. But I will do it sooner. It is a very sturdy filter.:)

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an AIR HOG on my taurus SHO and never had any problems. By removing the silencer in that car and putting in the filter it was louder and difenatly flowed more air. That is the intake which inmo is a much cooler sound.

Latest posts