fram

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't make a lot of sense. The K & N HP-2010 Oil Filter was $16 at my local "Checker" A P.

Does it cost $7 more to transport a one pound oil filter 2500 miles? (San Jose vs Honolulu)

Of course we are paying $2.50 per gallon, (today's rate), for Chevron Regular 87 (Red). Guess it doesn't help to have one of the highest Federal and State fuel taxes in the country, among other surcharges. :(

Remember that back about 30+ years ago, Fram was the king of the hill. They were the biggest and most popular filter manufactuer in the US Then filter technology advanced and Fram didn't keep up, nor did it even try. They seem to be content just making the same old cheap filters and people keep buying them

About 20-25 years ago, there were a lot of counterfit Fram filters on the market, and you could not tell if you were getting a genuine Fram or an even cheaper knock-off (most were believed to be made in China and smuggled into the US via Mexico). I know some people who believe that Fram authorized China to make the filters and when they were found to be so bad and they would have a lot of lawsuits, they claimed they were counterfits?? You can choose which version to believe.... Anywhay, I think that ruined whatever reputation they had then, and they never attempted to fix the damage done, or they just preferred to continue to build cheap filters??

...Richard