Front differential leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Taylor

Reaction score
Just checking things out under the truck while on vacation, and noticed an obvious leak in the seal where the driveshaft enters the front differential. I'll be taking it to a mechanic tomorrow, but was wondering what kind of job replacing the seal might be. Big? Medium? Small? And what kind of price? I'm hoping it's only the seal, but I'm not sure yet...

Small job for a regular mechanic... 2 hours labor or so and 50-60 in parts..

Todd Z

Super. Thanks guys. Looks like I won't take it in until Monday. That's the soonest they can take it, but at least I know what I'm possibly looking at!

My '03 Adrenaline had the front axle pinion seal leak too. Fixed under warranty. Guess they just haven't yet perfected the technology of sealing a pinion shaft where it comes out of the axle...:(

Well... Looks like more damage than just the seal... The CV joint coming out of the transfer case is shot and not repairable. That probably put some additional pressure on the seal... I thought there was some clanking under there, but it wasn't that bad. Anyway, $600 later, I'll get my ST back probably on Monday.

Latest posts