Front Differential went south. Is it just me??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill D

Reaction score
I have been hearing a scraping noise at low speed on a turn when I use the brakes. thought it was dust as my brakes have only 5k miles on them ( I live on a dirt road) I decided to "jack er up" and check it out. When I turned the front driveshaft and it rotated 1/3 turn and I heard a grinding sound in the front diff:eek: I got that pit of the stomach there goes a bunch of $$$$$$ feeling:(

Am I the only one to be so lucky as to have he Front diff go bye bye??

bill

Check the fluid level FIRST... There have been issues with people getting there truck with no fluid in the front or rear diff...

ALSO there was an issue with the front seals making noises, could be as simple as that...

Good luck

Todd Z

fluid should be fine. Gets checked at the "quicki-lube" every oil change ST has 54k miles on it.

The noise sounds too metallic to be a seal...esp with the issue of play in the diff.

Bill

Don't you believe it unless you check the fill plug. I trusted my GMC for a couple of years to monthly oil changes at whatever local Jiffy/Quickie/Super/whatever lube was handy. All of them said they checked the rear end fluid level. However, one time I just decided to check on a whim. It took me a while to even find the fill plug under the accumulated dirt. I really doubt that ANY of them ever checked it!

Worked in the fast lube industry for 3 years,,,,

Unless the diff is due for service, or they want to make a sale, they probably NEVER checked it..

THE only good thing is if the receipt says it was just checked and it is empty, you may get them to replace it....

Todd Z

Latest posts