Front end clanking sound?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Nichols

Reaction score
When ever I take off hard on a right or left turn and sometimes straight take offs I get a noise

from the drivers side front end. kind of sounds like a spring poping into place. Has anyone experienced this before? Bringing it into the dealer on monday.

Check front end links first. If that's it, the cheapest suspension fix.

After that, things usually get more expensive and serious. Loose shock? GL

Last edited by a moderator:
Truck only has 13000 miles must be a defect ,hope its covered under the warranty or all hell is going to brake loose!:fire:

If you have a 4X4, check the front axle outter CV joints. I suspect that you have a cracked or torn rubber boot, the grease leaked out and no the CV joint is going bad.

....Rich

AWD or 4X4 it has front drive axles which have CV joints. Bad CV joints typically make a noticable clicking or poping sound particularly when turning. You can sometimes hear it when going straight if you hit a bump or accelerate or brake since that flexes the suspension and changes the CV joint angles and stresses the bearings....That's why the click or pop.

Look under you truck and look at the inner and outter axle boots for tears in the rubber and signs of the grease leaking out. When the boots crack open, the grease leaks out, dirt gets in, and soon the CV bearings start to wear and go bad.

....Rich

Got it back the other day the tech took it out for a ride heard the noise (thank god) he tightened

up the suspension have not heard it yet. Keeping my fingers crossed!:banana: