Front End Problems/Alignment

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Love

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2005 ST XLT 2wd and I am starting to see that my left front tire is wearing out unevenly. The inside of the tire is almost bald and as you go out the tread gets better. I had a camber kit installed on it when it had 65k miles as well as an alignment. Now it has 88k miles and the same thing is happenning. Is this a common problem among ST?

Dr,

ST's are know to be a tough vehicle to align..... unfortunately the 2005 ST does not need a kit to do the alignment, you just need to remove washers....

I would find a new shop to re align the truck and ask for preferred settings...

Todd Z

Tires wearing in the center of the tread and not on the edges indicates that your tires are over-inflated. What airpressure are you running in your tires.

Higer air pressure can give you better mileage, however if you have too much pressure and are starting to see wear down the center of the tread, then you have gone too far.

It sounds like your alingment is pretty good, you just need to bring your tire pressure down a few notches....Of course if the center of the tread is bald, you will need new tires.

...Rich

Tires wearing in the center of the tread and not on the edges indicates that your tires are over-inflated. What airpressure are you running in your tires.

Higer air pressure can give you better mileage, however if you have too much pressure and are starting to see wear down the center of the tread, then you have gone too far.

It sounds like your alingment is pretty good, you just need to bring your tire pressure down a few notches....Of course if the center of the tread is bald, you will need new tires.

The center of his tire is not the problem.. He states the inside edge of his tires wearing out. Meaning his alignment is off. I had this same problem on my ST and that is why I finally did the SAS on mine and this problem is finally gone.

He said!

The inside of the tire is almost bald and as you go out the tread gets better

I interpreted that to mean the center of the tread was bald and the tread was better at the outer edges ??? If he mant that the inside edge of the tire was wearing more than the outside edge, it could have been made clearer.

Anyway, if the inside edge is wearing more than the outside edge, then it sounds like his camber is way off, as well as he may have too much toe-out.

It's odd how people describe their problems so that other people can get a completely differnet take on what they are saying. Kind of like how people describe engine noises. Someone may say it's a "Clunk-Clunk" sound while someone else will say it's a "Tap-Tap" sound. I interpret them to be totally different sounds.

...Rich

Pics do wonders sometimes. Describing the symptoms, particularly tires, is a crapshoot.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand .....

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts