Front outer tie rod end worn out?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Joyce

Reaction score
Is this an easy fix I could do myself or give it to my mechanic? Also my tie rod boot is blown out.

I got a quote of 162.18 with an alignment.....

Last edited by a moderator:
They are not that difficult to change, although you might want to do the inners at the same time as it is just as easy. $162 sounds high for just the outters to be replaced and an alignment. I have changed 3 inners and two outers and they aren't too bad at all to do. In parts it shouldn't cost you any more than $18-$20 for a pair of outters (try to get the moog greasable ones), and inners should be about the same, then spend the $49 or so on the allignment. I'd see if they'd do both the inners and outters for the same cost. Either way, make sure you replace both sides of the same part; i.e., do both the inners and outters on both sides or just the outters on both sides.

If you do it yourself; trust me use a cable rap (zip tie) to retain the boot to the inner portion covering you steering rack. IT IS MUCH EASIER THAN USING THE METAL CLIPS THAT ARE OEM!!!

There are some pretty good instructions in the Project area that will give you a head's up on how easy they are. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Outer tie rods are easy. Inners tie rods a bit more difficult but still easy with the right tools. If you do go ahead & do the job yourself it would be a good idea to count how many turns it takes to get the outer off. Then get an alignment right after you do the job.

Inner tie rod boots area challenge due to the labor involved. As noted above, if these are the boots your changing, then FOR sure replace both outer tie rods as you will be there. Check the inners for ANY in and out movement that is not movement of the rack and pinion itself, but the ball and socket that that are fitted in, (often, you will hear and or feel a clicking sound if you try quick in and out movements with the inner tie rod, if so, it is defective or on it's way to be defective).

I agree totally with clo and Coastie... these are GREAT points! In addition to counting the turns (as in how many times around it takes to take the outer off of the inner)- 1.) match with roughly the same number of turns on the new ones. I would also; 2.)once you remove an outer and inner (still) connected to one another lay it in a flat place (i.e. garage floor) and mark the overall length of them. This a great tip from a wheelin' buddy.

Then start with your new inner and outer and put it the same number of times as in (1.) above, then double check it against the overall length as in (2.) above. I used chalk to mark the overall lengths on my garage floor. This added insurance may aid you if your replacement inner tie rod is longer than the OEM one you are replacing (mine ended up about 3/16 to 5/8" longer so I had to use this additional insurance). ;)