front rotor free play

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John G

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I replaced the front hubs on my 4X4, which involves removing the rotors. When reinstalling everything, I used new hubnuts.

Two questions:

1. To tighten one of those giant hubnuts, I had to do something to keep the rotor from turning. What I did was stick a screwdriver into the slots of the rotor, so that the screwdriver was pointing pretty much straight down to the ground and bumped into the caliper. That way the rotor wouldn't turn while I tightened the hubnut. The question is: was it okay to use the screwdriver that way to keep the rotor from turning?

2. Today I took the wheels off to check things, and I noticed that if I grab a rotor and push and pull it, it will slide freely about 1/2 millimeter in and out. The hubnut seems to be tight still. I don't remember if the rotor slid that way before -- is it normal?

Did you use a torque wrench? Im a 4x2. So I dont know about 4x4 end play. I would think if the hubs are new and you torqued the nut, OK IMO.

I would think putting a couple of lugnuts on. Then a bar between studs, that will catch against something. Use a torque wrench on hub nut. Should be ok.

Yes, I used a torque wrench on the hub nut.

The hubs are totally different for 4X2 and 4X4. I'm not sure about the rotors.

By the way, with the wheels off, the rotors have free play not only pushing in / pulling out as I described above, but also rotating back and forth a millimeter or so. I'm just wondering if this free play is normal.

It's normal for the rotors on our 4wd's to be loose and free with the wheels off. Their tightened down with the wheels and lug nuts.

On 2wd's their a one piece design with the rotor and hub being together where as our 4wd's have a seperate rotor that just slides onto the studs.

:eek:nline:

I wasnt quite understanding your question. I knew that 4x4 rotors slip on. I thought you meant hub play.