Front Rotors 2002 Sport Trac Remove

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Fellman

Reaction score
How do I remove the rotors 2002 Sport trac. I have removed the calipers. I see 2 bolts on the back but not sure what size they are and which way to turn them..... I dont want to round them off

thanx

I know its a stupid question

I found a post with pics.... I cannot get the 2 bolts to move on the caliper mounting bracket--- any ideas.?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you 2wd or 4wd ???

looking at the bolt, you need to go Righty tighty and lefty loosey....

Todd Z

It's been quite a while since I replaced mine, but I seem to remember having to use a breaker bar to loosen something in there. Maybe that was it. Use the correct size socket and a lot of elbow grease (a 6 point socket is less likely to round off the bolt heads than a 12 point).

I just did mine. A small breaker bar on the end of your ratchet with a little nudge from a hammer on the end of the bar and the bolt started. There was locktite on my bolt.

thanx everyone. yes a 15 mm socket w/ breaker bar and elbow grease.... it was tough but I got it...

thank you so much for the responses. I started to round of the bolt but finally got it. I will see if a 12 pt works better and repost

I will see if a 12 pt works better and repost

A 12 point socket will NEVER work better at loosening hard to remove bolts and nuts.

A word of caution. When you put the bracket back on, make sure you use lock-tite. I failed to do that once and had a caliper bolt come off and the bracket wedged in the wheel rendering that wheel into scrap.

Tom

FYI. The Ford Sport Trac OEM shop manual says to always use new bolts whenever the brake bracket is removed. Something about the bolts being stretched/tensioned when installed which makes them less reliable when re-used. You can buy new replacement bolts for this exact purpose at an automotive parts store. The bolts come with loctite like stuff already on the threads. I am sure there are many that reuse the old bolts without a problem, but I just thought I would mention what Fords says about this.

I am sure there are many that reuse the old bolts without a problem, but I just thought I would mention what Fords says about this.

Never read that in the manual, of course never looked for it either. I wouldn't doubt that it is a torque to yield fastener.

$20 bucks says that the dealer doesn't replace them. The way to tell is go to the parts department and ask for 4 bolts. Bet they don't stock them. If they replaced them, they would stock them.

Tom

I agree with Tom on this one.

While at our shop, there were a few times we were forced to cut the heads of the bolts off and slide the support off over the threads. Then we would heat up the area and spin the studs out with vice grips.

Sooo, off to Ford and they did not stock the bolts.

There might be something to using new bolts. Did a brake job a few months ago and today on a trip where I was 172 miles away from home, the bottom bolt that holds the bracket to the steering knuckle fell out going 70mph. Didn't know it happened until I hit the exit ramp. Heard a werid noise. Ended up making a hole in the of the wheel. Walked to a parts store and got a replacement bolt and a wrench to put it on with. Got home on the spare but now I'm so worried about it happening again.

They have Locktight on them for a reason from the factory.... sadly people don't ever put any back and bolts fall out.

Latest posts