Fuel Filter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Teitell

Reaction score
Ok so today i didn;t have school and was planning to change my fuel filter. I bought the fuel filter and the fuel line disconnect tool. I went underneath my car and was having a hell of a time trying to get that clip off. Finally after 30 mins and lots of cusing io got it off. I was then prepared to use the fuel line disconnect tool to unconect the fuel lines. After varies attempts i could not get the line off. I stuck in the tool tried moving the wires, then pushed the tool in as far as possible still nothing. I eventually gave up. The only reason I can figure is why it didnt work is that the disconnect tool looked a little bent and may not align up perfectly with the inside of the wires that disconnect it. Would that be the reason I could not get the wires off, do i need to just buy a new disconnect tool. I mean the tool could have just been bent when i bought it, it is the exact same tool from the project so i know it is not the wrong tool.

Brian

Brian, I had to use a pair of pliers to my disconnect tool just to get it to go into the connector. The ends didn't come together and wouldn't fit into the fuel line ends correctly. After I did that they came right off. It still had to be forced in pretty hard to get them to come loose. Just like some things on the ST (spark plugs for example) you just have to wish the designers of the system you're working on to burn in hell to get the things apart so you can replace them.;)

Metal or plastic?

Personally, I find it simple to put the tool into the fitting, push the line towards the filter with gentle pressure pushing back at the fitting, then pull the fitting off. once you get the hang of it, you will think it is simple.

Tom

I have never been so annoyed i tried for over an hour and didnt get anything off. Im going to a wedding, so i will take a break and when i come back i will try again, and it can't come out any worse:lol:

As I said, once you get the feel of it, you will kick yourself. The hardest two I have even done was Theresa's Pontiac (no room to work and there is not enough space to insert the tool) and a Honda Accord.

To do the Pontiac, I end up using a hack saw to cut the fitting off to get the tool in. then I have to use two vise grips to get the threaded side off.

The Accord used a banjo bolt on both sides to hold the fuel lines to the filter. The filter is cheap metal that corodes the bolt into place. You end up busting your knuckles on the firewall trying to get the bolt to break loose, except it doesn't break loose, the bolt breaks. Dealer did not stock the bolt and it had to be ordered. Once I got the Accord together and running, I told the owner, a friend, don't ever ask me to work on that thing again. He sold the car shortly afterwards. I must have been an omen. Less then 75,000 miles on it and it had low compression and was ready to die. His dream of a reliable Japanese car became a reliable Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Tom

I found from previous attempts the best way to get the fuel filter off is to take it to my mechanic and pay him to do it. Ford fuel filters suck big time.

Caymen hit the nail on the head are your removal tools metal or plastic? The first time I changed the fuel filter I struggled to get the fuel lines off (using the plastic disconnect tool) and got so frustrated I finally gave up. I then posted something on this board and someone suggested using the metal version of the disconnect tool (because the plastic ones suck). Picked one up at AutoZone for $6 and the lines came off on my first try with the metal disconnect tool.

I have tryed both the metal and plastic. Could never get the fuel lines disconnected with either so i paid someone to do it for me.

Here is an idea. Come to the ST meet in Louisville and I will have a "How To" class on removing the fuel filters.

Anyone interested?

Tom

It's not so much a matter of knowing "how". My mechanic, who has probably changed out hundreds, will tell you that some ford filters come off very easily and some are a nightmare. Mine was one of the latter unfortunately. And from talking to others, there are quite a few like mine.

Just changed my fuel filter today after an aborted attempt on Sunday. I had previously disconnected my two 5/16" lines with some difficulty, but could not disconnect the 3/8" return line. I gave up and reconnected the lines. Today I went out and searched for a better tool and found these at Advance Auto Parts

[Broken External Image]:

They're a little pricey, about $11 each, but well worth it. I sprayed a little lubricant first then used these tools and the fuel lines came off very easily. I'm tossing my old scissor type disconnect tool in favor of these, I totally reccomend them if you plan on changing your fuel filter yourself.