Fuel filter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Thorne

Reaction score
Changing the fuel filter, 05 xlt 4x4, I can get the one side out no problem with the special tool but the other side, the metal connector with the braided hose doesn't want to come off.

Tried wiggling and pushing connector over tool once over filter end, still no go.:angry:

I put some oil in there as well, and I can spin the filter around the in the connector end and here it hit the shoulder on the filter.

Before I cut the filter end off and attack it that way, are there any other things I could do before I go past the point of no return.:unsure:

Since the filter spins indicating it's not stuck to the hose, that's a good thing. You'll just have to keep trying until it comes off.

Do you have a plastic removal tool or metal? If plastic, I'd suggest finding a metal one. They seem to work the best IMO.

Good luck...

Last edited by a moderator:
are there any other things I could do before I go past the point of no return.

I have never had a problem getting them apart.

You just need to keep trying until you figure it out. Once you get the feel, it is super simple.

Tom

Try pushing the tool and the fitler toward each other. Make shure the tool is going all the way in. Then push the tool and filter towards removal direction. Yank it.

thanks for the replies.

I dropped the skid plate to get better access to the connection, using the metal tool, and putting a pair of needle nose plyers between the filter and the tool to get some leverage, and still no luck.

The other side with the bent flex tubing was no problem.:wacko:

I don't want to damage the hose, that would be a pricey repair.

Is the metal connector side the same as the flex tube side ( plastic inside ) or is there a spring in there?

I'm trying to do this task today also, and am having issues. I have a 2004 ST.

First, I don't have the fuses set up like in the pdf instructions. So, which one do I pull? (see pic) I already pulled both the 20 and 25 amp fuse, neither which stopped the fuel pump.

a07c565fa3941c926cd0e576a39aa477.jpg

Second, how does one get the bent flex tubing off on the back side of the filter? The same way as what one is suppose to do with the front? (see pic)

2019cb7eaca3fca0231ec96206abb228.jpg

Unfortunately, I'm only trying to use the plastic removal tools currently. I had used them in the past on my 2001 ST, and they worked fine, but today I'm having no luck using them to take the front off. I feel your pain Todd T.!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pull the large light blue 20amp fuse at top right of your pic. On the filter you need to pull the green plastic clip first.

I have a 2005, and I had a hard time with the braided hose connector as well last month. I finally went to Auto Zone and bought a set of tools for fuel lines like the yellow, and red ones pictured above. I think I used the blue one to finally get it off. If I remember correctly , I had to instert the tool, and push the fuel filter into it until it gave a little more, and then pulled the filter off.

Thanks fellas! I guess I'm going to get some other removal tools. They look like a much better design.

If anyone wants to take the pictures above I posted and add them to the fuel filter tutorial to show the variations, it may be helpful for others.

thanks for all the help.

I feel a little like a doofus about changing a stupid fuel filter.

I much prefer the old style Bronco 2, or my last Aero Bus with the plastic clips you popped out and slid off the lines!:D

I'll report back next week when i get it back to school and up on the hoist again.:rolleyes:

Fuel filter was very tough to get out of my 05 4X4 XLT...tried several tools before I got the orange one pictured above which works; however, you still have to work it just right to get the inner ring to let go.

I've never had any trouble changing the fuelt filters on my SportTracs or my Rangers/B-4000s. I have both the metal and the plastic tools, and I like the plastic ones best. They pop the springs back very easily every time.

One time I had a fitting that was a little balky until a squirted some WD-40 in it. I think it just had some dirt in it.

These Ford fittings are way supierior to the old hose-clamp fittings, and they are lightyears better than the banjo fittings that a lot of imported cars use.

I havent changed the trac filter yet. I have the plastic ones. They have worked for me on other fords and others. I will find someday..:)

and they are lightyears better than the banjo fittings that a lot of imported cars use.

Tell me about it. Did a fuel filter on an Accord. Never again!!!

Did a fuel filter on a Chevy truck last summer. Got one side of the filter off. The other side was destroyed. The fuel line twisted off. Talked to some people "in the know". They said all of them do that. Ended up having to modify the system and use high pressure fuel line and hose clamps on one side and OE style on the other.

Tom

Tried mine once and what a pain in the ass. Found a tune-up shop down the street that changes mine for $20 which includes the price of the filter. Well worth it. I know some people here say it's easy but seems more people have problems than those that don't.

Well, got it up on the hoist again today, figured I'd try the metal side first, voila, popped off first try, took a total of 2 min after that.:banana:

I'm thinking the squirt of oil from last time must have loosened the inside clip.

When it does work it is very easy!

Thanks for all the ideas guys and responses, I don't post often but I am on here nearly daily.

Great site, lots if info!:D