Fuel Gauge Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H C

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am seeing something on my fuel gauge, that I'm wondering if it is common to others. Here's the situation (and this has happened more than once): I fill up my gas tank. When I start the truck, the fuel gauge will show more gas than before I fill up, but not show full. After about 10-15 minutes of driving around town, the gauge slowly works it's way up to full. I stopped by the dealer today and they tested the full sensor, and said it tested fine. They then told me that another mechanic in the shop said that was "normal" and that the manual says it may take up to 2-3 minutes, driving at 60mph before it reads full. Has anyone else heard that or seen something similar? I flipped through the manual real quick and didn't see anything.....and I'm not exaggerating on the amount of time it takes to read full...it really is 10-15 minutes... Thoughts?

Mine only takes a couple of minutes to level off after parking on a grade. Just guessing a lot of stop and go or up and down might keep it from reading correctly.

I tried sitting at the pump for a few minutes to see if it leveled off at full (not on an incline), and it still never made it to full before 10 minutes...and yes, lronbar, I did turn the truck off. ;)

I'm guessing by your responses that you haven't heard anything about the "normal" delay, huh? Since it all tested as normal, I'm not all that concerned about it, I was just curious if anyone else had seen/heard the same thing.

Thanks!!

The anti-slosh module could be flakey.....

I know it takes time driving for it to level out, BUT if I stop shut the truck off again, turn the key on wait 10 seconds and then start, it reads correctly...

Todd Z

My dad's explorer did that once, but then never again. That has never happened with my ST, it shoots up to full the second I turn the truck back on. I thought it was a freak occurance on my dad's car. :blink:

Ford suggests to dump a bottle of Chevron with Techron into a full tank of premium to remove the sulfur off the fuel sender should fix your problem

I had a problem with my fuel gauge a couple of years ago. I don't remember the specifics, but I know that wiggling the wiring connectors on the tank seemed to fix the problem.

Latest posts