Fuel Guage Debacle – Always shows empty - Digital Odometer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cruzinit

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Fuel Guage Debacle – Always shows empty.
I thought I was so smart, Bought the $1000 truck, gas gauge and digital odo not working. Read a bunch of stuff about the Anti-Slosh.
Crawled under the truck and was barley able to disconnect the fuel pump/gauge electrical connector.
Stuck a 100ohm resistor in place of the sending unit and it went around ½ way. Cool the gauge is fine just the sending unit is bad, or so I thought.
Ordered a $47 Amazon special, wrong unit has 2 Fuel hoses.
Ordered and 2nd $50 Amazon special, wrong unit, also had 2 Fuel hoses even though the picture only shows 1.
3rd time the charm – A-1 Premium $57
20240523_161420.jpg

Dropped the tank – broke the emission hose teee, damn
Power washed it, removed the ring, installed the A-1 plugged it in, still no shows empty.
Retested it again with the resistor, Yes works, damn.
20240524_135406.jpg

Bench tested the old unit at the plug, 0 Ohms, what. Tested direct to the sending unit itself and it works, what the heck. And what’s this little black box taped to the harness. Cut it open, googled the part number and its some kind of e85 DC it ac convertor to reduce corrosion.
20240524_135531.jpg

Screw it, I cut it out, connected the wires back together, boom it reads at the plug, Yeah!
Fabricated a new emissions Tee out of a PEX Tee
Figured since I already had the A-1 in the gasoline I modified that unit (removed the e85 DC\AC)
Stuck it in the tank, check the Fuel gauge. Same Empty Grrrrrr. Pulled the Pump, tested on the bench, nothing, test the sensor, nothing. Disassembled the sensor, reassembled not it works don’t know why. Reinstalled in the tank. Test Guage Works YES.
20240524_141121.jpg

Found this thread after the fact - https://www.f150forum.com/f4/fuel-gauge-wire-282148/

Has some strange anti slosh stuff going on but It works. Waiting or cycling, the key helps.
Im this far anyways, so I pulled the Instrument cluster IC and disassembled to remove the Anti-Slosh. No module on my unit. Inspected the board found a broken solder joint and reflowed it.
Tested the IC and wow Digital works now but bad news 297xxx miles damn, po said about 200K, well ok.
Anyways the tank is back in the truck Whew dang 4, 6 hour days on that thing. (well I did do some other stuff as well)
Next Adventure – Aloha All !!
20240523_161357.jpg

20240523_161431.jpg

Wow cruzinit you’re good. I am not set up for that level of self service.
Nice job and thanks for the intro and great photos