Fuel mileage check, ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
Made a almost a 500mile round trip for TG...avg 80mph 60% of the time 65 to 70mph the rest...about 20miles city driving...4.10 gears...Averaged 18.1 mpg...is that good, bad or average ? At 80mph, rpms were 28k..

This is the first time I checked it highway, mpg. My city mpg is usually 12 to 14 mpg..

go to the Resources menu at the left, then click on MPG log for all the info on member's MPG reports.

I hope you ment at 80 MPH, your RPM's were at 2800 RPM, not 28,000 RPM. If so, that is one hell of an engine.

18.1 MPG isn't bad driving at 80 MPH. You do much better at 60 MPH where it will be around 23 MPG, but the fuel savings don't outweigh the loss of time.

Tom

Caymen...my boo boo. 2800rpms @ 80mph...what I found odd is that at 70mph the rpms are 2400...400rpms more to push the trac to 80mph...I was driving in some hill country and it was windy...but it almost seems like too much converter slipage...

My wife and I just recently went on a x-mas shopping trip and I averaged right around 70 mph and it was alot of rolling hills and wind. Got a little over 19 mpg. I thought that was pretty good considering the conditions and the weight of the trac.

Drove from W. Mass to Ct for Thanksgiving in the snow and (2 WD only) got 16.2 running 50 -60 in the snow (roads were plowed) 70 -75 on homeward trip as roads were clean. Winter Gas???

Ed

Eddie,

There are a lot more variables that effect your gas mileage than just the miles and speed. Some are your driving habits that include how fast you accelerate to cruising speed, the terrain, the wind, the temperature, Tire inflation, the traffic around you, how many times you had to slow down or stop and then speed up again, the gasoline blend, and how much weight was in your truck, etc Also, most Sport Tracs do not get their best mileage until they get about 10K miles on the odometer.

Each has a very small effect on mileage however collectively they can make a big difference in mileage.

You must consider that some people here only get about 12 MPG on the highway and others get 21-22 MPG. So there are a lot of variables that effect the mileage, but you are getting better mileage than some people, but not as good as some others. I get about 20 MPG on the highway cruising at 75-78 MPH with little or no traffic, carrying about 500 lbs of luggage, and in the heat of summer with the AC going full bore. I have gotten over 21 MPG on a few tanks of gas and as low as about 18.5 MPG going through the hills of western Kentucky. I do not make any conscience effort to save gas, or I guess I could do better.

...Rich