Fuel pump shutoff

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny O

Reaction score
Drove to Buffalo and back today from Pittsburgh to pick up my kids for Thanksgiving. My son keeps growing, so twice today on the trip back his size 13's kicked the fuel pump shutoff switch under the dash, killing the truck, and I had to reset it. In my Trac it is NOT behind the kick panel like the manual says, but on the firewall next to the kick panel. Manual instructions didn't work exactly but I kept hitting the button while my (second) wife turned the key off and on and off and on. Not sure what worked but eventually it started both times.

Just an FYI.

Make the kid sit in the back!

Seriously though, my kids and wife like to cross their legs and do other odd things with their legs when in the front seat. WTF!

TJR, my pet peeve is the old "prop feet up on the dash". I'd love to see them after the airbag deploys.:D My wife tried it once and got an ear-full from me. She hasn't done it since.;)

This has happened to me three times now (the first less than three weeks after I got it. Not knowing what it was, we were stranded at the Grand Canyon and had to have it towed back to Flagstaff!). It's actually the wiring harness which is connected to the shut-off switch. Very poor design. I hope Ford has fixed this on the new (2007+) models.

TJR, I was surprised it worked here. I think it was when I told her I wouldn't get her back into a more "flatering" pose after the airbags deployed. I'd just leave her there with her ankles behind her head.:D

"Give it to me straight Doctor, I can take it!!!" I'm pretty good when I know it's humor. Everyone I know, knows no to take me to seriously, unless I start my sentences with, "Seriously though, .......".:D;)

Well, I was taking my kids back to their mom on Sunday. This time my son bumped the switch and the engine cut out while I was going 75 mph on I-79. Coast to the shoulder of the road. Took many tries to get the thing to reset and ever since then the CEL is on. I told him to take off his shoes, friggin' size 13 clodhoppers anyway....