Fuel Tank Vent

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Sugarman

Reaction score
I was having trouble filling my tank last week. I looked in my rear wheel well and saw what I (correctly) assumed to be my tank vent hanging down. I finally took that line off and it ws clear, I took the next section off and it was clear. The next connection was a box attached to a plate behind the spare tire. When I took the plate loose, I was nearly drowned. A stream of water poured from the box. I got out as much as I could and reconnected everything. Amazingly, I could fill my tank without interuption.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

There was a recall on this from ford to fix that elbow... I think it was another elbow, small piece of hose and a zip tie..

Todd Z

Todd is correct,

Tjere was a recall for 2003 and 2004 Sport Tracs for an evap. Canister hose coming loose. It appears that a hose was cut too short and could come loose allowing moisture and road debris to enter the evap canister.

The recall was to add a small plastic elbow to the line which removed the stess on the short hose. However, if the dealer found that the hose had already had come loose, he was to replace the evap canister as part of the recall. If the hose had not came loose, then he just needed to add the plastic elbow.

...Rich

Made the mistake of doing my own, OEM ford parts were like 6 bux, better than the grief of taking the trac to the Dealer (WRONG)

Come kali tag time, they said the recall had not been done (saftey recall) not in the puter data bank.

Back to the dealer, service guy looks, says it has already been done, do it again pls so it gets in the databank:angry:

[Broken External Image]:

Fast Eddie,

Yes, the recall was early in the 2004 model year and was corrected on all later production models at the factory and any that got shipped were fixed at the dealer's when they arrived. I was working at a Ford dealership when the recall came out and had my 2003 done there and they had about 5 2004 models on the lot that our shop had to correct right away before they were sold.

...Rich