Funny Noise from Front Right Wheel Area

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bret Pardew

Reaction score
I have been noticing a funny noise from the right front wheel area, mostly when slowing down or very low speeds. Anyone have any idea what this could be? The sound is like "whuh, whuh, whuh....etc. hard to explain. The trac does not pull when braking.

Thanks for any input or if you need more info please let me know.

Bret

Hey Bret,

I have the same problem on my ST. Mine does it around 15-35 mph. But on the freeway, it is great. I believe it is the tires. How many miles do you have on yours? I have the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos which are really nice. However, I have about 65,000 miles on them and have noticed some bald spots on them. I am getting ready to replace them in a few weeks, but if anything I would bet money that it is the tires. Hope it helps.

Tommy

Sounds like it's probably your tires. Mine was doing the same thing, but once I had them rotated the sound went away. You should make sure you rotate them at least every 5k miles. That will help. I was talking to my mechanic who's a friend of mine, and he told me that a lot of trucks, esp fords do that. What happens is, if you look at the tread on your front tires, you'll notice that they wear unevenly on the inner tread. That's what I personally think causes that noise. I've talked to other ST owners and they complain of the same noise. I think its pretty common.

I have the same problem...dealership says my right front tire is "cupped". Their recommendation is to have an alignment performed then move the problem tire from the front to the rear to see if it evens out over time.

Hope this helps.

Chad W.

Funny you mention that because I went to have mine checked today for the same thing. Dealer told me to be sure to keep tired at 40 - 44psi, mine were low and needed to rotate tires. Aired them up, rotated tires and no more noise.

Noticed the same noise problem this weekend on dry, concrete pavement at around 40mph....a whup, whup, whup sound....and I am due a rotation AND the dealer has stated they noticed a little cupping last time I was in.

That's with 22K miles on an '04.

Is this the infamous "Ford Quality" problem where no amount of alignment can actually get the front-end in alignment?

TJR

Last edited by a moderator: