Garage Flooring

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Martin

Reaction score
Has anyone done their garage floor? I'm not hip about painting it, so I'm thinking of getting the "tiles" to put down on it. Any experience?

I haven't done it but alot of people on this site have, plenty of info here for you to read up on.

I think the VCT tile would be a good way to go, I'm not totally sold on the paints and coatings.

The only problem with paint is the adhesion issue, IF your floor is in bad shape, nothing will stick to it... And if you don't use enough sand or traction additive in the paint, it is slippery as heck when wet....

The rubber or foam tiles are good, but they trap dirt and oil and stuff in the cracks....

It all depends what your doing in the garage.....

I found a $9.99 remnant from the carpet store, threw that down, when it gets nasty, it gets thrown out....

Todd Z

i know you dont like paint but have you thought of the colored epoxy

paint they got it at home depot its really tough stuff. it is rated for you to drive on as well

Like ToddZ said...the problem with the paint/epoxy is adhesion. If you have had a car that leaked oil on the floor it could be a problem. I was reading the instructions for an epoxy kit online, and the prep work for the epoxy to work right could take you days with all teh chemicals you have to put down and rinse, and dry, etc. One of them even said that if there was an oil spot on the floor you would need to remove it down 1" into the concrete and refill the cut out with some self leveling concrete...

The tiles that you can buy look fantastic in the photos that sell the tiles. Who would't want to park thier Classic Mustang or Corvette on a checkerd balck/white mosiac of tiles? Problem is it only looks good once. The white ones are only white once, and dirt/oil gets between the cracks and looks bad.

We just bought a new house and our builder painted the floor. Someone had spilled stain when doing the cabinet doors, so he used acid to clean it up and put like 7 coats of paint on the floor. I couldn't be happier.

I remember using an acid mix on my friends concrete floor before we did any painting... it made the floor more adhesive to the paint and has been working well for well over.... 3 years now. if that helps.

I haven't done a garage but I painted my concrete patio with the vinyl paint about 10 years ago and it's held up real well. Prep work is the key. A friend of mine did his garage recently and used an acid wash like you would use in a pool (similar to website posted below). So far it's looking good.

Just click on the green wrench next to my name. I wrote up a project on the epoxy sealant option. I've done two garages and had no problems with adhesion. Just don't rush the process and you will get good results. The garage in my house was horrible before with major greese stains. I think the previous owner must have been a messy mechanic.

Check out link and Sams club sells some decent coverings too. Roll them out and cut them type. Racedeck is another, Racedeck.com...little pricy though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm going to save up some cash and do one of the methods - I'd really like to save time and do the tiles, but the floor coating is intriguing as well (IF I can talk the wife into it!).

There is a company here in NE Ohio called Nature Stone that has an epoxy-sandstone coating for concrete. I have it on the floors of the attached garage and the front porch. It is pretty amazing stuff. Both floors were severely cracked before they poured this stuff. They roughed up the surface and sealed any cracks before applying the coating. It is about 5/8" thick. I did both floors at about the same time and they still look awesome after six years. It's not cheap but it will probably outlast just about any other coating.

Many area auto dealers use this on their showroom floors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts