Gas Cap/Check engine light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Rice

Reaction score
My Check gas cap light kept coming on a while back. I had it turned off 3 times and bought 2 seperate gas caps, one locking then one brand new replacement. I really dont think it is the gas cap anymore. After it came on again I didnt want to go have it checked and turned off with nothing done for another $25. Then after a day or two the check engine light came on. I read that was because I didnt get the gas cap light turned off. When I did have it checked the guy at the shop said it was the gas cap everytime. Could it be something else like I think. If so how can I find out without paying a bunch of money (is that possible), and is it something a beginner like me will be able to do?

Drop your spare tire down and remove it...

Look around at all the hoses above the spare tire and the ones you can see running to the filler neck under the truck and in the wheel well....

One of them is probably broken...

IF you had shocks done recently, the knocked off the hose under the spare tire..

Todd Z