Gas cap

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmiranda1269

Staff member
Reaction score
So just bought a 2004 Sport Trac and had no fuel cap.
I've tried two from Amazon and neither fit. Can you all guide me in the right direction so this check engine light goes off.

I believe @EddieS'04 had the same fuel cap fitment issue with his 2004 using a Stant "Instant Fill" aftermarket cap. IIRC, there were four different types.

He's been alerted above and hopefully will chime in soon. Good luck.

Last edited:
^ Motorcraft FC974 works on my 2005. "Should be" the same for 2004. GL

I believe @EddieS'04 had the same fuel cap fitment issue with his 2004 using a Stant "Instant Fill" aftermarket cap. IIRC, there were four different types.
Yep advance auto had to give me one for an '03, for fitment. I did'nt use it very long. Put on my Mom's '01 Merc. Put my oem cap back on.

^ BTDT. Small return spring for the fuel door flap kept coming off.

Gave up and went back to the stock cap. Wasted money. Live and learn.

^ BTDT. Small return spring for the fuel door flap kept coming off.

Gave up and went back to the stock cap. Wasted money. Live and learn.
Yep, the spring kept comming off on Moms Merc. Put her oem cap back on. It started throwing codes. So I bought her another oem style.

I just bought a locking cap for both my '06 Limited and my '08 ST. Both bought from O'Relleys (sp?) I have both stock caps available, if you need them. I bought the locking stuff b/c I don't trust the asshole across the street from me, that used to work for me, and is living in one of my rent houses. Didn't want to find either of my trucks suddenly not working, b/c of sugar or other additives in the vehicle that didn't belong there :p

Latest posts