Gas gauge not reading

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Torrez

Reaction score
I filled up the trac last night like regular, put in 22 gallons. I started it and re-set the miles. As I drove away I noticed that the the E needle did not go back up the F. Thinking this was maybe a glitch in the matrix, I turned the trac on/off a few times but to no avail. I finally parked it a tried again this morning but no luck. Does anyone know why the gauge will re-set it self?

Paul

I know our tank is only 22.5 gallons. I believe in the sending unit there is this cork like floater in there. I would almost guess that since you ran it down to half a gallon, that the cork is having trouble floating back up. I'm not really sure why its not coming back up. But its a weird one for sure. It should make its way back up as you continue to drive it or until you have to refill.

Paul,

Try kicking the bottom of the gas tank, IT may be stuck......

It could have gotten oxidation on it from the fuel, but that is not as common as it getting stuck..

Todd Z

That also happed to my 2004 Sport Trac. Next the mileage indicator flashed that I was out of gas. I was in month 35 of my 36 month warrenty period and the dealer replaced the entire sending unit. Everything went back to normal!

Good luck!

Oldguy :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well....it finally went back to normal from driving it and from going over a couple speed bumps! I hope there is not a bigger issue, but if there is does anyone have any advice on things to check to make sure this is not an indication of a bigger problem? (fuse, ect..?) Thanks

Dont run the tank lower than 1/4. It is hard on the fuel pump. The fuel keeps it cool an lubed and will last longer..

Latest posts