gas gauge shifted

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed my 2002 would stay on full to long, then when it should show about 1/2 tank it began to drop. Sometimes it would drop to slowly then read about 1/8 tank all of a sudden. This has now been going on for over a year, but never giving a false reading when nearing empty. I now ignore it and at fill up reset my odometer and write the mileage down also. It has trained me to always monitor the mileage without thinking about it so actually feel more confident about not running out of fuel. I always fuel up at around 250 to 280 miles. In that window I am safe even in city driving here. (not recommended in city's like New York or L. A. where you may regularly get 5 mpg or less LOL). I am a do it yourselfer but have never tackled a fuel float or gauge. Anyone here solved this problem?

The one thing I notice. That makes my fuel gauge crazy. Is if I fill up with the motor running. It corrects it self The next fill up with the motor off....:driving:

Mine does the same thing as O.W. I may get 100 miles and the needle is still at 'F' then it plummets and steadies out. It then doesn't start to act weird until I get down to a 1/4 of a tank. It'll drop to 'E' and sit there for about 5 mins then it figures itself out and goes to the remaining spot. If it doesn't come up after about 10mins and I'm around 300miles then I know I need a fill up.

I've gotten use to it, so until it breaks completely I'm not gunna do anything. Sorry I can't offer any advice, ha.

J.B.

Latest posts