Gas Milage

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal Britten

Reaction score
What is everyone getting for gas milage with a 4x4 sport trac in town and on the highway. Looking at buying one in the next week or two. Thanks.

I get 18-19mpg mixed driving. You will get alot of varying answers here on this. The ST is not a "fuel economic" vehicle. Know that going in. It's still a great vehicle.;)

I drive mixed going to work. So if I can get 16-17 to work and around 20-21 on the highway I can live with that I think. I am not a car guy so I am used to crappy milage. I just didn't want to walk into something with a v-6 that gets 15 on the highway unless it has over 300HP. :D I am down grading to a smaller vehicle right now and I do like the sport tracs alot. Wish there was a cheaper suspension lift for it, but I have seen a few with the body lift that looked pretty good. I gave up serious off roading when I got rid of the Jeep. I just need something to go out to the lake or camping in and 4x4 just to play it safe. Been know to look for some secluded areas every now and then.

16 mixed.....13 in town, 20 on highway ('07 V8)....11K miles now....don't

think it will improve much.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
2007 V6 4.0 L

These are what my computer in my dash tells me anyway. I haven't tracked it manually

18.7 HWY (that was the best it got on a 3,000 mile road trip 4 days after I bought)

15.2 - 17.7 are what I have seen driving city roads

I have recently bought an '01 and its pretty good on gas. A lot better then I thought with the 4.10 ls in the back.

Two camping trips towing a pop-up and loaded with fire wood it get over 18 mpg. That was mostly on the highway.

As bad as the mpg is for the ST your not going to find a truck that gets much better so I wouldn't let mpg be a deciding factor.

That being said, I wouldn't consider the ST a "truck."

I had a 2000 F-150 5.4L V8 and it got 15-16MPG regardless how I drove it (city, hwy, mixed). I had hoped or assumed (didn't research it like the original poster is) that the 4.0L V6 would get much better gas mileage. I was wrong. It's marginally better. My 2001 gets about 18 - 19 MPG mixed driving.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE my ST. If you're looking for a truck for cargo and/or hauling. I'd look at the traditional pickups. I sometimes miss the F-150's load capacity. If you want a fun vehicle that can do a little of everything (a little hauling, cargo, passengers, off-road, fun to drive, easy to park, etc.), the SportTrac is great!

Happy Hunting!

Jared,

You nailed it. I want a little of every thing. I am actually selling my '02 Chevy with the Duramax Diesel, 4x4 long bed extended cab. Love the truck and especially the power. But it can be like driving a ocean liner in a lake at times. I originally bought it to buy and tow a travel trailer but that never happened. I had a Ranger Edge a few years back and I loved that little truck. I think the ST will be even better with the four doors. Don't get me wrong, I will miss my D-max, but it will be nice to be able to park some place other than the back of the lot.:lol:

15-16 around town in my 2001 4x4. If I'm driving straight interstate, I get in the low 20s. Two weeks ago when driving to South Carolina, my highest mpg was 24, while averaging about 22 mpg for the trip to and from.

Guess it all depends on where you live, for me, I'm getting around 15mpg city driving. I suppose if you live someplace like San Fran or do alot of Mtn drivin, your savings go out the window :) I'm driving an 07 V8 4x2 Limited.

If your looking only into saving gas, go buy a Focus or the like :rolleyes:

07 V-8 4X4, 14-15 mpg highway/mixed and up to 18.5 on long highway trips

I get 18 pretty constantly, most highway but some city. It went up from 15 and 16 after I got my exhaust and new air intake on, so it will change with the mods you put on quite a bit. I hear that the TB mod will also help the mpg some.

i have an 07 V8 2WD

I get 12MPG around town, and maybe 15MPG on the highway

Most of my miles are around town. thank god its only 4 miles to the office

I upgraded the throttle body if it matters to anyone

im sure if i had a lighter foot i would get better mpg, but i dont :)

CDB what mileage did you get with the Duramax ? I've been thinking about getting a 07 or 08

6.0 or 6.4 Ford Power Stroke or 07, 08 Chevy Duramax. How was the reliability on the Duramax ? Thanks.

John

I have the V8 4X4. I only get 12.5 to 13mpg in town, but I live in a big city where there seems to be a stoplight every other block. On the highway I get 21 to 22 at 60 MPH but it drops to 18 at 70 MPH. My engine may not be fully broken-in yet so it may improve slightly.

I have a 2001 4X4 with 61,000 miles. I get 14mpg in the city & when I had a few more hwy miles than city it was 18.4mpg. That was stock. Now I have the K&N Cold Air Intake. On my first tank of gas since this mod was done so I am hoping it goes up a bit.

01 w/ 4.10's and 32" tires; I get about 15.5 mpg city all day long no matter that my foot's in it alot. I average 18.5 mpg mixed (about 90-123 miles of highway on a tank) and I average a little over 20 on long trips as long as I keep it under 73.7 mph. I can understand the desire for 4 doors, a real back seat and the ability to park where anyone else does. I would've gotten an FX4 ranger but my girls at the time were in car seats and the 4 doors have worked out great. Good luck with your hunting.

My average is 17.35 over two years. Lots of good statistical data available on the site's MPG log. Out of 10,206 data points, our group's average is 17.19.