Gas mileage and computer chips

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Krusich

Reaction score
I have an '01 with over 150K miles. It currently runs perfectly. I am asking for the wisdom of the list regarding aftermarket computer chips that would allow improved gas mileage and also can be easily reset for normal power.

Is such a chip available? If so, I would really appreciate other details ie. source and price.

THANKS,

Steve

One of the site sponsors, WFOY sells these. I think they are around $350. Several members here claim improved gas mileage, but I don't know what the break-even point would be after spending that much money. Chances are your vehicle would be pretty worn out by that time.

I decided against the purchase of a chip for that reason.

Just a thought from a mechanic..

At 150,000, I would make sure all of the tune-up aspects of your vehicle have been taken

care of first, if you have not already done so.

Such things, at this mileage, as plugs,wires, O2 sensors, Catalytic Converters for possible

blockage, air filter (obvious), and even timing chain, at this mileage, for stretching,

which could affect idle smoothness and gas mileage (valve timing) if worn too far.

It sounds, though that you have her pretty well maintained! Just tryin' to give some good

advice, as the computer cannot make up for worn mechanical parts.

Good Luck on another 150,000, if you keep her that long! :D

As Mike said, check all those things. Before doing the big expense, get ready for it.As Rodger says change everything over to synthetic. Change to an after-market filter system. If possible change the exhaust to high flow.Then give that info to someone that will setup an sct. They can set a progrma up for you.

To chime in, again...

If you are wanting to increase the life of your vehicle, and get better mileage, all of

the above suggestions are good. If you are wanting a performance tuner or chip to

increase the horsepower and go out and run the "'Vettes on the Boulevard", you are

only asking for trouble. At 100,000 plus miles, you may have a vehicle that runs

perfectly (I have an '89 Jimmy S-15 with 245,500 miles I would trust to California and

back, at 65 miles per hour, that is!), but I would not consider Hot-Rodding it by any

means, because with many miles, you are looking at such things as metal fatigue on the

crankshaft, rods, camshaft, etc... that you cannot see with the naked eye, and cannot

compensate for with a tune-up or any computer chip or programmer.

I wish we all could get 245k- plus out of our 'Tracs! I'd be a Cappy Hamper!

Pun intended!;)

As Nelson said, if you are looking for only an increase in gas mileage, skip the tuner. Your investment will not pay for itself to justify the cost. It doesn't matter if it is with a brand new Trac or one with well over 150,000 miles.

If you want an increase of performance with an increased "side effect" of extra gas mileage, then a tuner is for you.

Tom

Tom, I have to totally disagree with you (& Nelson) on the tuner, i.e. XCal 2, because it was it was not until we got the XCal 2, with the program for better gas mileage, that we saw significant improvements in our mpg.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think what Tom was refering to was not the mileage increase but the cost to doing this $350 upgrade and the time involved in getting the $350 back in gas savings. A 1 MPG increase would drop your cost per mile to 15.79 cents from 16.67 cents factoring in a 18 MPG before and a 19 MPG after with a gallon fuel cost at $3.00. That is only a whopping .8772 cent difference per mile which would take 39,900 mile to pay back the cost of the chip.

C