Gas Mileage

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an interesting observation:

When I gas up at Mobil gas stations, I get 17mpg. (avg over 3 tanks)

When I gas up at non-Mobil gas stations, I get 19-20 mpg. (again, avg over 3 tanks)

I do a lot of driving, 1k miles/week. Has anyone else experienced this? I live in the northeast, the gas contains 10% ethanol. Could be the different Mobil additives and detergents?

I know I'm going to get flamed over this post...maybe someone else wants to try this in their Trac.

I pretty much get 18 mpg with my driving, any station. When I was going from Maryland to Texas I averaged 22 mpg, again, wide variety of fuels. Currently I live in Texas and use fuel from Savon gas stations, not sure what that mix is other than grade 89..

Bret

It is possible that some brands of gasoline may give slightly better or worse mileage than other brands due to the % of eythanol alcohol present in the gas formula. Eythanol gets about 20% less mileage than regular gasoline but it is used to inexpensively boost the octane rating of gas. That would only account for a very small difference in mileage. Perhaps only 0.5 MPG at the most. No way it would make a difference of 2-3 MPG.

I suspect that you may not be calculating your actual mileage correctly or it's just a coincidence that you ran into heavier traffic when you used Mobil.

...Rich

Are you using the same Mobil station? I'm sure you already thought of this but I have experienced of couple staions I've used having incorrect calibration on their pumps. One time I even managed to pump 24.3 gallons of gas into my 22.5 gal tank. :blink:

Chet

Latest posts