Gas Pump Scam??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STench

Reaction score
I filled up at Shell yesterday. I drove 20 miles after the "Low Fuel" indicator came on (I know...I shouldn't let it get that low). Our tanks hold 22 gallons, right? The pump showed 23.6 gallons pumped into the tank. Doesn't the fuel indicator light come on with about 2 gallons left? Can our tanks hold 1-2 gallons more fuel or do you think the pump was off (purposefully or not)? The pump gave no receipt and I didn't bother going inside and getting one. On the way home, it started iritating me. If they can skim a couple bucks extra from everybody, that's a great gig for them!!

I think about that often. I also think that when the person on the other side of the pump is triggering to get a to the rim fill up, it's distracting my flow. I know it's petty but when they try 6-7 times it could be breaking the amount going into my truck while the $'s are still running.

The pumps are computerized so a tenth of a gallon shortage might not make a difference to one customer but after a busy day, the store could be racking up.

When I'm filling up, which is every time, once the hammer clicks off I stop. ;)

Don't forget about the filler tube. It can hold an additional gallon of fuel.

If you suspect the station is breaking the rules, there is a sticker on the pump that indicates when the pump has been checked. Call that number and report it. They will make a suprise visit at that station and test the system.

Tom

One of the news investigators, here in Houston, has been checking stations. The station invested in one of the testing cans. They found cheating all over the place. Texas only requires the the pumps to be certified, every 4 years...:(

Last edited by a moderator:
All Sport Trac fuel tanks will hold about 2+ gallons more than the factory specified capacity. So the gas station was probably not scamming you by a rigged pump.

All states have a department for weights and measures that must certify all commercial scales and pumps to insure the consumers are getting an accurate measurement. At gas stations, they will use unmarked cars and pump gas into a special holding tank. When they return to their lab, they can accurately measure the exact amount of fuel that was pumped and compare that to the pump measurement. They can also test the octane rating to insure they are not selling regular 87 octane for 92 or 93 octane.

The do that when there has been complaints about the accuracy of the pumps. Usually the make visits to the station several times a year to test the pumps and insure that the pumps are accurate and there are no unauthorized modifications to the pump that would alter it's accuracy.

...Rich