Gen 2 bed cap susgestions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyB

Reaction score
I am considering a cap for the bed. Doesn't have to be anything special. I just need a window that opens on the front and sides. Hopefully something that i can easily take off. Any opinions?

yeah, so do I. I like the idea of a open bed and putting anything in there. But i have come across a few occasions where I could have used a cap. Especially if I were to get a dog(s) or go camping.

I have looked on the craigs list for one but have not even seen anything listed in my area. Coming across a used one is looking to be kinda hard. And the older and older the Sport Trac gets it will get harder to find. Manufacturers will eventually stop making them for a truck that is no longer in production.

I hate to have to pay a grand or 2 to get a new one but I plan on keeping the ST for as long as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
JohnnyB - Please do not consider putting any dogs in the back cargo area while driving. It's very dangerous and the dogs can easily be injured/killed. I actually witnessed a dog getting ejected from a pickup truck on the highway when a sudden stop caused the dog to go flying in the air and onto the crowded high speed highway. It was sickening to witness. So, I suggest keeping dogs inside the vehicle. Some State laws forbid it as well. Not being politically correct here but as a dog owner/lover I would hate to see this happen again.

Thanks for the info. I don't have a dog yet.

The dog(s) I am considering are going to be very big, in the 150 lb area. I wouldn't put them in the bed without a bed cap or "topper" as some people call them. That is why I am looking to get one. To keep them safely in the bed with no chance of them getting out, especially when driving. I am not talking about a tonneau cover, which I already have. If you are not familiar with a bed cap it is bolted on securely and basically makes a pick up bed into an suv or van like area.

On the other hand having a 150+ lb projectile in the back seat could possibly kill the passengers in the front seats in an accident. So a dog or two securely kept in a bed with a cap on it is the safest place for them to be. Safest for themselves and the people in the vehicle too.