Gen 2 Brake Replacement Advice, Please

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinbakon

Reaction score
Well I've scoured the site for the best replacement advice and the major conclusions I've come to are . . .

Rotors:

Although I'd prefer the look of the dimpled/dimpled and slotted, I am a hard braker, but rarely tow. I've read that the drilled tend to crack and slotted chew up the pads (regardless of type).

Looking for replacement advice?

Pads:

I've always replaced my OEM pads with Akebono, and I've never had to do a second replacement as long as I've owner the vehicle. The dust has been minimal, but do tend to squeal and fade.

I'm also considering the Wagner ThermoQuiet pads, since they come highly recommended.

I'm open to other suggestions.

I'm sure as with anyone else, I'm looking for a nice balance of stylish, performance, long-life, low dust, minimal noise, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
kevin,

You don't need slotted, dimpled, or drilled rotors for street use...you are just paying extra for the look.

As for pads, the Raybestos QuietStop, and the Wagner ThermoQuiet pads are very good. I used the Raybestos QuietStop pads on my 2001 Sport Trac and they worked great and did not throw off anywhere near as much dust as the OEM pads did.

The Raybestos pads come with a stick-on isolation pad (called a slipper) that dampens any brake pad vibrations that create the squealing noise. I always use high temperature brake grease on slide pins, and all the contact points where the pads meet the calipers, especially those little tabs that the pads hang onto the caliper.

...Rich

Kevin

I bought some Slotted and Drilled for my sport car because they look cool.. but they suck.. and I had to go back to blank style rotors...

Stick with high quaility rotors and not slotted.

other than that.. good luck!

Brian B

The best rotors for the money are NAPA Ultra Premium. They cost more but last longer. I've put them on a bunch of my family's cars (but not the Trac...yet).

I have put 300K on R1 Concepts and brake very hard plus pull a boat - never a crack, break, or headache - not to mention, they look cool. They are $250 for the front and the same for the rear but after having them on a few Jags, a Ranger, and now my Supercharged Adrenalin - they work just fine.

Kevin,

Im using "performance friction" pads on stock rotors. They do get some dust. If you wash regularly it comes off easy.

They are carbon metalic pads. When they are cold they stop well, but do take more pedal presure. In a couple of miles and they warm up. You cant beat them. Im a spirited driver. I assure you the hotter they get the better they stop. Even after repeated fast and hard stops. The pedal pressure is minimal. I wish I had used them on my 'stang. I will use them again.

One way to explain there stoping power is. Once they are warm. If Im stoping from 40 to 50 mph. I can feel the gripping power, from just resting my foot on the brake.

Also I have had zero noise from them.

Fronts for a gen 1 are around $80 @ O-rielys. well worth it, IMO..

Thank you VERY much for all of your input!

Although I'd love to get the look, I'm not in a position to get $200+ rotors, just to have them "possibly" crack or warp on me . . . . If the truck didn't weigh so much or I could upgrade to a big break kit, I'd take the chance. I'm going to look into the NAPA Ultra Premiums, and leaning towards some "premium" type product like these.

As for the brakes, it sounds like I may need to do a little more research . . . You make the Raybestos QuietStop and Performance friction pads sound very tempting, but I can't emphasize enough, I am a HARD and frequent breaker!

Eddie, would you mind clarifying exactly which pads you recommend? I'd like to look into them a little more.

Thanks,

Kevin

kevin,

I doubt that you are any harder on your brakes then I am, and I am also very picky about my brakes and insist on first class stopping power. I always flush my fluid with every brake job, and I don't just slap new pads on, I even replace the calipers with rebuilt units because I don't want any kind of brake issues.

It probably will not make a difference if you get the Rabestos, Wagner or the NAPA pads...there are all probably very similar in their performance.

...Rich

Not trying to sound like a pimp for NAPA, but I've used their Ceramix pads with great success. Good pedal feel and not much dust. The ONLY brakes and rotors that my wife couldn't kill in less than a year in her Taurus, they receive the JudyO stamp of approval. :supercool: Had the things cut three times and they were still good. She's on the second set now.

Latest posts