Gen 2 Oil Life Monitor

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The person in the know in Detroit didn't have anything to say, but I was told that he was rushed to the hospital due to severe pains in his stomach from doubling over in laughter when asked this question...take it for what it's worth.

Okay, thanks. I didn't say it was true, I just said it was reported. Apparently your bud didn't deny it either though. I do know that for a long time Cadillacs have had a "limp home" mode if they lose all the coolant. I don't doubt that the technology is there to do something similar with oil if they wanted.

Perhaps I should have just said that he flat out said no instead of improvising...I didn't think it would have been misintrepreted.

re: JJJake

wondered why somebody would set their oil life to anything less than 100%. What is the point of changing the age? Do I really know that the oil life is 80% versus 75%? Whose spec is it based on? Hopefully it was an American engineer that got paid for that useless feature. But, maybe it will lead to something good down the road....

What the setting is for is the start value (being a percentage value of a 10,000km range) as the start point of the 100% range.

So if you want to change it to 7500km, you set it to 75%, what that does is set the new range to be 75% of 10,000km, so the percentage range at 100% now is at 7500kms.

So if you set it initally to 100%, it'll remind you to change at every 10,000kms

If you set it to 75%, it'll remind you at every 7500kms. What your doing is changing the 100% scaling point the percentage of the full 10,000km range. (lol almost kinda hard to follow...) In lamen terms, sets the readout of the 100% mark to [75% of 10,000km], so when it shows 100% oil life left, its at the 7500km range instead of 10,000km!

So for 3000km range, you set it the starting range to 30% (30% = 3000km of 10,000km), so now the range is starting at 3000km, so when reading it now - when it shows 100%, thats at 3000km left, if it reads now at 50%, thats 1500km range left. (Ya I know kinda hard to follow for some!)

So in you case eddieS, if you wanted it to change at every 5000kms, you set it to 50% of original value (which is 10,000km) which now makes it 5000km range, so when it reads back at 100% or what ever, that is the percentage at 5,000kms not 10,000kms now, so thats why after it says 100%, because its now 100% of 5000km range, not 10,000km range!

What your doing is setting the [Percentage range of 10,000kms] as your 100% starting range!

:back2topic:

And the power limiting is NOT my traction control kicking in... I know when it does kick in and out. When my oil life is lower than 10%, it seems sluggish, not as hard acceleration and maxes my rpm out at 4500rpm. Its not a traction issue. Tires do not spin, dry road, if I manually shift it and keep in 1st gear, it'll only hit max of 4500rpm. Once I reset the oil life it all returns back to normal. Next time its dry out (maybe have to wait till spring/summer now) I will post a video while my oil life is low ands show you what it does and how it does it right after I reset it! I have a JOB 1 2007 (Manufactured in 2006) ST V8, so maybe it was a test thing and then decide to scrap it later models who knows, but it has been confrimed with some other owners and atleast 1 person in my town that can confrim it! :p

Why did Ford do this? Maybe they wanted to prolong the life of the engine, because maybe for some ppl who let there oil level go down to this level, prevents them from driving their engine hard with bad/old oil, but then they can always reset it to get the power back, but then your only making it worse for your engine by continually driving with bad oil.

Try it, change your [Start Oil Life] to 10%, which changes it to a 1000km range (just don't reset the level), so if you drove it for more than 900kms since the last reset you should be close to 10% left, so when it hits 9 or 8% left, you should notice a lack of power and acceleration, and max rpm limited! It does for mine, and I'll post a vid as soon as I can!

:driving:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts