Gen 2 roof brake light leak...best cure? If there is one

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLE442

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
Some where way to close to the effen city
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
My Gen is usually garaged but I have found the need to let it set out for a couple weeks in the mosoon season we have had. Any rate, there is a faint musty smell and I do beleive there is some rooof brake light leakage. It happened right after I first bought it and I just pushed down on the light and snugged up the screws and that cured it until now...as best i could tell.

What is the best permanent cure for this. I don't like water in my interior and I really don't want it to get musty. Any and all views about the best cure wil be appreciated.

'07 ST

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy a thin stick on weather stripping.... remove the light, apply to the existing gasket... re install....

OR sillycone the dam thing..... LOL

Todd Z

My grandpa would have used roofing tar. Works great...looks like hell! LOL

He was a sweet old man!

I used GOOP (silicon based glue) to fill the screw holes . . . . In my case, when I backed the screws out, I noticed a very small rubber o-ring on each screw. The rubber is pretty thin & fragile. I believe the ring is actually designed to stay within the brake light housing, but do to the physical traits, the ring very easily comes out of place. Once I filled the holes and reset the screws, I've been leak free for a couple years now. I suspect when you tightened the screws down, you more than likely only temporarily fixed the leak, but eventually the little rubber rings finally gave.

Personally, the seal around the under side of the housing, has worked perfectly fine since day one.

I tried finding you a link to my previous threads & posts, but there are several results for a Gen 2, 3rd brake light leak

My 2007 F150 did the same thing during a severe thunderstorm about a year ago. I took the old gasket off and resealed the whole thing with foam weatherstrip tape. We've had some major storms since then, but no leaks!

I believe the F150 and the Gen2 Trac use the same light. I'll have to check my catalogs.

I've had this problem. I put silicone in the screw holes while screwing the screws in and then a little shot of silicone on top of the screw heads once I was done. Haven't had any rain to check it yet.

I did find that after a good rain I would open up the passenger side rear door and water would come out. The water was coming from the top side of the bottom door seal. I'm thinking that is where the water would drain to from the third brake light leak. We'll see next rain...