Gen2 Front Headrest Replacement Options

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to the site and to Sport Trac ownership, but am enjoying both very much. I've had my 2010 STA about a month now, and can't seem to get a comfortable seating position locked down due to the angle of the front headrests. I'm 6'3" and the back of my head ends up resting against the top of headrest (fully retracted), which is the furthest forward part of the headrest. My wife complains about it when she has a clip in her hair (although she's used to her Expedition seats).

Anyway, does anyone know if another Ford front headrest will fit into the Sport Trac headrest post holes? I'd like to stay with OEM, put am open to put in aftermarket if there's no other option. If there's a "trick" to reposition the front headrest, I'd be inerested to learn more about that as well.

Thanks!

Bill

2010 Sport Trac Adrenalin 4.6L AWD

Bill,

I had my 2010 about 3 days before taking the headrest out for the same reasons as you. I then felt maybe that wasn't the safest option and thought of bending the posts so as to position the headrest farther back. Upon further inspection I noticed the two posts were hollow, therefore bending them would not be possible(they would just kink and likely break). So I simply turned them around backward. In this position they would let my head go back farther in a crash, but I still believe they would provide some head and neck protection.

If someone is able to fit a different year headrest into a 2010 please post it. BTW the posts are 6" apart on my 2010.

Thanks,

Curt

Last edited by a moderator:
Rudolph is correct about the '08 headrests. Ford claims that the newer ones were mandated by the government. I have also turned my driver side headrest around ( looks like crap but at least I can drive without laying in the back seat!)

Thanks everyone - good information. I didn't think about turning the existing headrest around..might just do that until I figure out what to do. I like the idea of the 2008 headrest...may just go that route. Too bad there isn't a way to bend the existing headrest posts without them kinking. Maybe insert a steel rod about the same diameter as the opening and bend with the rod inserted?

I know where Rudolph is coming from...I have the driver seat tilted back so far my knees are almost touching the steering wheel.

I appreciate your input, thanks again

Bill

Latest posts