General Auto A/C Question/Issue

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fudged Undies

Reaction score
Not for a trac but I'm pretty sure it would apply to most autos. GF's focus needed a new compressor. A friends dad who is a Chevy mechanic did us the favor and swapped it out for free. Turns out the compressor fit but it was the wrong one and the pulley's didn't line up. Somehow he didn't notice (insert chevy jokes here).

Anyhow, had the system drained and did the swap with the correct compressor myself. Added some 4oz of oil to the compressor, this was what was suggested by a few phone calls though I'm not sure if it is the correct amount. That being said, the oil is supposed to be drained from the old compressor and the same amount added to the new. For whatever reason, when I tried to drain the old oil nothing came out, at least, not until I got it to the parts counter. By then it was too late. Hence adding 4oz.

So I charged the system and I seem to have compressor knock. I'm trying to figure out how to proceed. I'm thinking, remove the r134, remove the oil, replace with half as much and recharge and go from there. This is pure guessing as I don't know if there is a better way to measure the current oil in the system.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions, aside from an a/c shop.

I always added the oil directly to the compressor while turning it by hand......

It sounds like it may be a bad rebuilt compressor......IF it was rebuilt...

ALSO I have added oil via the valves and not had to discharge the system.... May want to go that route.....

IF you can not find out how much oil exactly is supposed to be in there, I would add about 2 oz more and go from there...

Todd Z

Acutally Todd, my fear is that I added too much, I should have specified in the original post. I've tried adding additonal freon/oil but I can't get the charge to read past 25-27lbs and I don't want to keep adding on the off chance that it already has too much oil.