Getting a 'new' used car home

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Kunkle

Reaction score
Tomorrow I will be going two-hours away from home to look at a 15 passenger van. If I buy the van, how does one get it home the same day? Can I tow it with a tow dolly and the receiver hitch on my ST?

If you MUST tow it, you will not want to tow it with the rear tires turning without pulling the drive shaft. Going that distance for any speed will in all probably destroy the transmission.

You can tow-dolly it with the front times on the ground, but the bring a friend idea is probably the best and over-all safest...

To over yourself call your insur5ance company and let them know that you purchased thr vehicle. You are then covered in case of a mishap. You can get an intransit tag and drive it back with proof of insurance (if required). Safest bet when towing an automatic don't have the drive shaft turning. I believe that some autos will allow flat towing depending on how the transmission pump is designed or setup. But in general don't flat tow an automatic.

What is an in-transit tag? I got a quote on the Van already. I do have another driver, but I want to bring it home tomorrow. Not wait until DMV is open and then drive back to get the van.

I have arranged for the use of a F-250 supercab with diesel engine to pull an 18 ft flatbed trailer with tandem axle and brakes. This should be pretty safe.

Just take your Bud with you, have him drive it home, forget all the legal crap

You will be fine.

Sometimes you just gotta do what needs to be done.

had a rattlesnake in my yard today, little fellow, maybe 3 footer.

Took a shovel, removed his head.

thats not legal in my state. I could do jail time for that deed.

people, forget most of the details, do what has to be done.

kali wants you to first report the snake, than maybe 4 hrs later an animal control officer will arrive on the scene.

Just gotta do what needs to be done when you can do it, go thru all the BS to do it right, might take you two weeks to get the Van home.

Drive on driver:)

Yep, Get the VIN, call your insurance agent, and have him/her fax you a temp insurance ID card. As long as you have the signed title and bill of sale to prove you just purchased it, and your proof of insurance, then even if you are pulled over they will likely let you go.

I will dissagree with Kevin though, (Sorry Costiejoe) I wouldnt tow backwards it with the front tires down. Even with the steering locked, the front tires will have some travel side to side, and it makes it difficult to keep your vehicle towing straight. (I towed a 77 F150 that way and it was a pain as the truck kept shifting side to side)

My .02

I will dissagree with Kevin though, (Sorry Costiejoe) I wouldnt tow backwards it with the front tires down. Even with the steering locked, the front tires will have some travel side to side, and it makes it difficult to keep your vehicle towing straight. (I towed a 77 F150 that way and it was a pain as the truck kept shifting side to side)

I agree. The front wheels are designed to point foreward. It is dangerous to tow it backwards on a tow dolly. Disconnect the driveshaft and tow it foreward. Neutral will destroy the tranny.

Tom

p.s. In Gemany, and I assume most of Europe if not the world, Diet soda is called "Light" Coke Light, Pepsi Light, etc.

Latest posts