Going into the repair shop friday....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Strachan

Reaction score
The ST is going into the shop Friday and I dont really know what's wrong...can anyone help figure this out??

A month or two ago the "Check Engine" light clicked on but I didnt really think anything of it. The ST still ran great...no loss of power...no weird noises...I just figured that maybe an oxygen sensor had tripped it or gone bad and needed to be replaced....so I just put it off. Well, lately, my truck has been idling REAL rough. A few times at stop lights I've had to push down on the break as hard as I can because the engine reves up and down about 200-500 RPM and the truck lunges forward. I thought that it was the IPC motor because some members had mentioned how cleaning this will smooth out the idle. I did this two weeks ago and it's made NO differnce. In the past few days, the truck has flamed out over and over again. It will flame out if you shift from drive to park - the engine sputters, reeves a few times, then just dies. It also flames out and dies when shifting from drive to reverse...same thing. I'm taking it into the shop Friday and I have no clue what to think the problem could be. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks...

-Mike

This hose is a common failure and will allow to much air into the system when it fails. As a result, the O2 sensors read it as a lean bank ans the ECM injects additional fuel. So at an idle it really screws with the system...

It is free to look at it...

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the MAIN REASON when a cel light comes on you GET IT LOOKED AT.... They do not come on because they felt like a christmas ornament !!!!!!

Sheesh...

Todd Z

It sure would be nice that if instead of turning on a idiot CEL, there was a LCD readout underneath the odometer that would say in PLAIN ENGLISH what is actually wrong with the car.... you know something like "Check spark/ignition on cylinder #6", or "air filter clogged", etc.

Yeah, when the CEL light comes on check for a code right away. It could be minor or it could be very major!

Todd.

That was a good one! The CEL comes on because it's getting into the Christmas spirit. :lol:

...Rich

It sure would be nice that if instead of turning on a idiot CEL, there was a LCD readout underneath the odometer that would say in PLAIN ENGLISH what is actually wrong with the car.... you know something like "Check spark/ignition on cylinder #6", or "air filter clogged", etc.

Gee, that would be nice. But then, we wouldn't need to go to the stealership and get the code read for 65.00. They make money off not putting it in plain english, since the average person will just take it in rather than go to Autozone or a similar place (or buy a reader).

I had some what of the same problem.... Try to back the truck out of a parking space and give it some gas and it sputter for 3-5 sec. and then it would take off fast. I got to be a safety issue.. one time i went to pull out unto the road and had to cross traffic and it decided to sputter... ohhh shi... you know. well thank God the other cars could get slowed down..

The dealership had my truck for about a month- i was stuck with one of their focus' to drive - they could not figure out what the problem was nor could Ford. They replaced the mass air flow sensor - didn't help. they changed out a lot of parts... fuel pump, fuel filter, another mass air sensor, oil change, main computer. The last thing that they changed was the fuel pump relay under the hood and that fixed the problem. I had about 56000 miles on the truck.