Going to be changing jobs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Schaecher

Reaction score
Since ya'll are like family to me (yes, even Frank.... we both liek the Cubs, so there), I'll announce it here second...

I have been offered a new position in St Louis (I currently live in Jonesboro, Arkansas area) at a decent pay increase.

I have until next monday (10/4) to give them an answer, but it is more than likely going to be a resounding yes. I am so emotionally drained at the moment (and I have only known about all of this for 2 days!) because I really like my current employer, plus it means selling the house where my two kids were born, the first one I bought and my wife and I transformed from new empty house into a home. It means leaving my church home. It means leaving a ton of friends and buddies that I have made over the last several years. I've been here just over 6 years.

The good news (besides the $$) is that we will be significantly closer to our families (less than 1 hour to one set, 30 minutes to the other) and the responcilibites will be much greater. I will have a significant opportunity to prove myself and come out of the 19th century.

Still, it's a significant change, and not in the way NObama talks about. Real change.

I will go from an 85-person company to a 27-person company (this after working for American Airlines at several hundred thousand people). I will be working with a friend of mine from college as well. It's still in the material handling industry (except the new place is not an OEM, but an integrator) and will be working with some of the biggest names in America.... In-Bev/Anheuser-Busch, Proctor and Gamble and some others.

I'm excited but EXTREMELY nervous, especially in changing jobs in the current economy (my current position is not going ANYWHERE unless the company fails). It's all in God's hands.

This new company I actually interniewed with back in college. I have been thinking about them the last year or so. I put a resume in for a job that came in through Monster or HotJobs or whatever and sure enough was them and didn't even realize it. that was two weeks ago today. Wow...

Wish me luck ya'll and don't worry, I'm not going anywhere.

/book

Last edited by a moderator:
Natural to have anxiety about changing jobs and locations. That would make anyone nervous. Sounds like a good opportunity though and if you didn't go through with it, then you would probably regret it. Good luck.

Congratulations!!

It looks like there are many more positives in your future than in your present. And you'll be able to create new memories with your family in the next new home. You already a very lucky person to have this new opportunity. I'm certain you'll do well.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations, on your new job offer. The only thing that you need to look at is the cost of living in the St Louis areave vs Jonesboro, and be sure that your pay increase covers the additional costs you will incurr due to the change.

Most larger cities are more expensive due to taxes, higher realestate costs, communting costs etc than you will fine in smaller, more rural settings.

Here in Texas it probably cost about $8K-$10k more per year to live in Dallas, Austin or Houston than in a smaller town like Waco, where I live. Of course the larger cities always have more selections in shopping, resturants, concerts, entertainment, museums and cultural activities, than in the smaller towns.

...Rich

Congrats on the new job offer. As you said it is in Gods hands. I will also be praying for you that God will give you absolute direction and peace about your decision.

Im retired now but the thought of uprooting all that I knew is what held me back, from moving on to greener pastuers. Peace be with you..:D

R Shrek who is the company? I used to work for a couple different Material Handling integrators in St.Louis, and did work at AB and PG.

If McSame wins the elections, nothing will change.

Anyways, on a serious note, the grass may look greener, it does not mean it is. With a new job comes new challenges and problems.

Only you know what is best for you.

Good luck on any route you choose.

I changed jobs earlier this year. It has it pluses and negatives. Some good, some bad.

I make the best out of any situation. I am sure you will too.

Tom

Congratulations...........and Good luck!

Having been through a similar dichotomy some time back, I can tell you that should you elect to do this, there will be some good and some remorse.

Some of the good will include many wonderful new friends, waiting to meet you. The 4 plus hour trip also is a nice distance to make a visit back for the weekend, or even meet some of the old friends halfway for a weekend "getaway/reunion!"

Some of the difficult was my son was 12 when we made the move and he was reluctant to leave his friends. My son is now out of college and still communicates and gets together with his old bud's as well as his newer buddies.

For us it did work well but after the fourth state to state relocation, my wife said we're putting roots down, no more moving.............! We're still here!

Also to help you a bit here's a comparison calculator which will show many of the cost differences between your two locations.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/movecalc.asp?a=0&d1=50000&d2=83.474546845803&d3=94.2665524703973

Good Luck with your decision!

Caymen,

It makes no difference who wins, nothing will change...It never does. But what does that have to do with this thread hwere everyone is congratulating R.Shek on his new job?

...Rich

Wow, sounds like a great opportunity. How does your family feel about it? If they're supportive of this move, then go for it. If you have the support of your family, then nothing can stop you!

Personally, I see a real positive opportunity for you with this move: You'll be moving to the Best Baseball Town In America, so you'll have an opportunity to convert over from the "dark/north side" to being a fan of the 10-time World Champion St. Louis Cardinals!:) Just a little Cards/Cubs rivalry ribbing!:D

On the other hand,

The good news (besides the $$) is that we will be significantly closer to our families (less than 1 hour to one set, 30 minutes to the other)

Beware, that's not always a good thing!;)

Just kiddin'... Whatever you end up deciding, Qapla'!

R Shek,

Good luck.

I suggest you figure in compartive cost-of-living given where you are and what you make versus what you will make and where you are considering moving to. Also consider the school systems.

As I said, good luck.

TJR

There will be MUCH change. But that is not a bad thing in many cases. It is a matter of looking at the details and making sure the change is worth the effort.

Being closer to family is a HUGE plus if that is important to you. In my case,,, I am too close. Not to say I don't care for them, but you know what I am saying.

Best of luck to you and your family, hope it does everything you are looking for...

I was in the military for 12 yrs and it got to the point where I was anxious to move every few years. With the anxiety comes many great opportunities which you won't even recognize until you get there. Good luck with the decision.

Alvey?

When anyone says they are moving to St. Louis, they mean the suburbs. The city itself is a dump and terrible schools/services, but is bleeding population for years. There are something like 150 separate entities (small towns) around St. Louis. Most of the school systems out of the city are great.

St. Louis cost of living is low, comparable to Jonesburg. Housing is the only thing that will be higher. However, there are decent areas where you can get decent housing without fracturing a nut. Depending on the area (west County, Kirksville, St. Charles, etc.) housing is appreciating very nicely in value. There is lots of variety from inner city ghetto to mansions, to country club estates, to farm houses with no indoor plumbing less than 45 minutes from the city. You'll have quite a choice and wide variety.

I lived there for six years and loved every minute of it (except the traffic and the somewhat expensive housing from the po-dunk I was used to living).

St. Louis is a very strong union town. Of course the unions are getting weaker due to the Ford Explorer plant closing, McDonnell Dougles/Boeing move to Seattle, Chrysler plant closing, and the shaky Anheuser/Busch/In-Bev takeover.

Oh, and Cardinals suck. Rams suck too. Blues are not bad, but you cannot get tickets unless you know someone.

Gravity Kills is from St. Louis.

More:

You answered the ad on Monster, Hot Jobs or whatever. That means you really aren't happy with something in your current situation. Sound like you need to be intraspective and really decide what you're looking for.

Also sounds like your anxiety is your hesitation. Explore that. Change is not easy, nor comfortable. Staying in a situation that you're really not happy with can be easier than facing your anxiety.

Good luck.

Latest posts