Goodbye Sport Trac. Thank you everyone for the support over the years.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Hartman

Reaction score
I traded my 2001 Trac 4x4 in Yesterday for a 2014 Edge. She was a good truck I will miss her :*( I needed something that got better gas millage. The Dealership gave me 4k for her, not bad according to NADA and KBB. Thank you all for the support over the years and keep on trackin !

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck with the Edge. Back in 2013, I sold my 2004 Sport Trac Adrenalin after nine years of fun & faithful service. I replaced it with a 2011 Edge, which I drove for about two years, then got a 2011 Explorer in March 2015. All that time, part of me still missed the Sport Trac, because they're so fun & versatile. So in October of last year, my wife took the 2011 Explorer and I bought a 2010 Sport Trac Limited V8 4x2. After driving it for six months, I love it, and now wish I'd have just bought a Gen 2 Trac back in 2013 when I got rid of the '04.

As I'm sure you've already discovered, the Edge is fun to drive too. Tons of room. Is yours FWD, or AWD? Just curious, because my 2011 was FWD and I found that it didn't get much better every day MPG than the Sport Trac. Sure on the highway (if I watched the weight of my right foot), I could get 25-26 MPG, but in everyday mixed driving, I got between 18-20 MPG, which really wasn't much better than the '04 Sport Trac. And the 2011 Explorer and my current 2010 V8 Trac get about the same mixed MPG.

There are a few things that you should watch out for in the Edge: The driver's and passenger's door ajar sensors are notorious for going bad. My driver's side went out while under warranty, and the passenger's side went out after the warranty expired. A quick fix is to spray the crap out of the door latch assembly with WD40 or some electrical contact cleaner and cycle the lock a few times. This will cause the "door ajar" light to go out for a while, but the sensor will probably end up failing altogether and need replacing.

If you have the Vista roof, it's great to use, but the motor can go squirrely and not close properly. Crap builds up in the tracks. Cleaning/relubing the tracks helps, and there's also a recalibration procedure that can be done to clear up the problem. That's what I ended up doing to fix it.

3.5L V6, or EcoBoost? This may have been cleared up by 2014, but on the 2011's there was a problem with the throttle body on the V6. It would cause the car to randomly completely shut down & throw a CEL code. When this happened, it wouldn't allow the engine to go much above 1000 rpms until you shut it totally off & restarted. The fix for this is to replace the TB with a newer model. This happened to me at 75mph on a freeway in Chattanooga. Very scary. Had to limp over to the shoulder & restart the car to clear it. I replaced the TB and it cleared up.

Unfortunately, there aren't any recalls for any of these high fail items. I believe there should be for the TB problem, because it can be a serious safety issue.

If you haven't already done so, check out the Ford Edge Forum. There is a ton of info over there about these & other problems/fixes, mods, etc. It's a good site.

I'm not trying to scare you with your Edge, just want you to be aware of things that may (hopefully not) happen.

Latest posts