GoodYear Fortera TripleTred

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Wolf

Reaction score
I had a set of TripleTreds put on the 02 4x4 a couple weeks ago, and over that time, with Ohio weather, they have been in Snow, Rain, Ice and Dry pavement, so thought I'd give my impression of these.

I replaced a set of well used Destination A/T tires which I really liked alot, except for the wear on them, but that could partially be my own fault. :)

Dry: These grip well to dry pavement, hitting the gas does not cause instant "peel out", and driving in the stupid "round abouts" at a decent speed doesn't squeel, and keeps a good grip, as expected from any new tire. Nothing "magical" here. The one thing that did impress a little, we have these cement sections of road where bus stops are, and with the busses stopping, makes them very smooth, usually always peel out on these, but they gripped better than expected from a complete stop. Also, these tires are alot quieter than I am used to, not alot of road noise compared to the A/Ts.

Wet: Didn't have much rain until it turned to snow, but even in a good size puddle, they seem to do as designed and move the water away, I expirenced no hydroplaning at on the interstate driving the speed limit. Not much else to say here yet.

Snow:

Wet slushy snow, it seems to take a second to get a grip when you first take off, a little spinning in 2WD, 4WD you can take right off. Met my expectations, Once you get going they seem to keep a good grip, and push the snow/slush out of the way. Stopping on the other hand, I was able to stop on wet snow with very little antilock activity, I don't remember being able to stop that good when the others were new, and as bald as the old tires were, I gave the antilocks a workout daily. I was quite impressed with the stopping ability.

Dry Snow, Wow! This is where these tires seem to be awesome. I drove on some roads that never get a plow, and some unused parking lots. I did have a full tank of gas for weight in the rear, but they would easily take off ( If you don't punch the gas too hard, even in 2WD ) and these things have great stopping ability. This definately made them worth of that mountain snowflake symbol. Here I was really impressed. It feels like the tread somehow makes the snow work with them.

Ice: Old k-mart parking lot becomes an ice rink with all the puddles that freeze over since the store closed... I could stop, but it felt about the same as the other tires, the antilocks kick in and do their job. This is of course on pure ice, I wouldn't expect any miracles in this condition from any tire without spikes. :)

Appearance: These are nice looking tires, raised white lettering is not an option, only black sidewalls, but for me, I prefer it that way. The tread patter looks weird, and will take some getting used to.

So far, overall impression, I think they are very good tires, with me goofing off, and 'testing' them, they do very well, I don't regret the purchase, plus a 60K warranty on these. These are directional tires, so be sure to rotate correctly.

Of course, this is only after a couple weeks, and purposly trying to push them, some of the above could change after some "normal" driving for a while.

If I notice any more +/- about these, I'll post it.

Thanks. I just got a new '08 with Fortera HL's. They go and turn fine in stop but don't stop worth a crap. I'm thinking of raising hell with Ford or Goodyear to get something else.

Latest posts