Goodyears In Snow

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny O

Reaction score
My new '08 came with Goodyear Fortera HL's. More of an all-season tire than all-terrain. Lots of snow yesterday and today. Well, not a ton but it just won't stop. Anyway, in my experience the Forteras go and turn very well in snow and frozen slush but don't stop so good. The ABS has been getting a real workout. :eek:

jon,

i just put toyo proxes on my 07 and we had the tail end of your storm yesterday with only about 2 inches of snow and ice. they were good as well, except for the same problem about stopping. abs kicked on a few times. not sure, but it could have been the ice, and i will have to see if we get a good amount of snow to give it another try.

the toyo's are more of an all-season performance and maybe not the best in the snow belt.

go greyhound :D

Doesn't matter what tire you throw on, you can't beat inertia when you hit the brakes. The only tires that will actually help decrease you stopping distance on snow/ice are true winter tires which are made of a softer rubber and have special tread patterns.

Right Olaf, I have four Bridgestone Blizzaks on my wife's Taurus and on snow covered roads it goes every bit as good as my 4x4's and probably stops better. I had Bridgestone REVO's on my old Trac and the very similar Wild Country XTX on the Ranger I had before that and they stopped much better. I think Bridgestone makes a Blizzak in the 245/65-17 size.

I'm driving a 07 4x4 v-8 ST with blizzaks it's amazing.No one has ever come close to being able to follow me on ice or snow.Last month we had 10 feet of the white stuff.

Living in southeast Texas. I only drove on ice one time. I did good until turned into our church parking lot. I almost slid into the ditch,,:lol:

Ice is pretty tough no matter what.

Fast Eddie, that reminds me of an email I got a while ago called "Tips For Yankees Moving South".

3. Just because YOU know how to drive in snow doesn't mean WE do. Stay home.

Last edited by a moderator:
So last night the wife and I run down to Pittsburgh, she got a killer coupon for 40% off the complete Seinfeld DVD collection and that was the nearest Borders Books. Snow getting worse as we go. Coming home it's a full-on snowstorm, the Trac is rock steady on the PA Turnpike in the snow-covered left lane at 60 mph. Get off at Cranberry, turn into the parking lot at Primanti Brothers for dinner, touch the brakes, and slide all the way across the parking lot entrance and almost into the bushes.

The ABS module climbed out from under the dash and said "What the hell are you trying to do to me?"

What is it with these tires?

Unbelievable.

I might call the dealer to raise a bitch and see if I can get other tires on warranty.

Oh, for everybody who doesn't know what Primanti Brothers is-------V

Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago on a Sunday in College Station, we had a fine coating of ice on EVERYTHING. I went out to the garage, fired up my 1968 LTD, and headed off to church. I passed many people during the 30 minutes it took to travel the 5 miles to church. Several people were in various ditches, several others had run into things (trees, poles, other cars), and one guy just looked at me as I drove past his 1974 Nova. He was standing next to it in the middle of an intersection, with the back tires slowly spinning!

When I got to church, I found an almost empty parking lot. The only other person there said "didn't listen to your radio either, did you?" Apparently the radio had been broadcasting that all churches were closed! So I drove back home.

Then some friends and I drove to the mall and played on the ice in the empty parking lots! That's where you learn how to drive on ice!

Latest posts