GPS install question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

love one

Reaction score
Hi - I am installing an AVIC taken out of my uncle's ST (to be traded in)....in the Pioneer instruction manual, I see that there should be a steel plate that the GPS antenna is supposed to be placed on top of when mounted. Is this necessary? If so, where can I get one?

I've browsed the boards and the general consensus was that the antenna is best mounted above the third brake light....what do you use for adhesion? Also, is running the wire along the driver's side the best route?

Thanks again, in advance, for all of your help! :D

My guess is that the steel plate is to act as a "ground plane" for making the antenna more effective. I don't think it is necessary, but it will probably help reception. When you mount an antenna on the roof of a vehicle, the roof acts as a ground plane and you're all set.

I have a magnetic mount GPS antenna above the third brake light. I ran the wire down through the top of the light and down the passenger side. Drivers side should be fine too. The side probably depends more on where your GPS is mounted.

I don't think there is anything special about one GPS antenna over another. The biggest thing obviously is the connector type on the end of the wire.

I have an Eclipse. But I believe al the Antenna are the same. The plate is just for the Magnet to be able to stick. My plate was double sided tape on one side and covered in a velvet like material on the other.

i have it just sitting on the dash and I see no difference with or with out it.

Hope this helps.

Like they all said, it holds the ant. from sliding around on a plastic dash. You could make one from the lid of a small tin and then paint it. Like an altoids tin or something like that.